Wetsuit at COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the rentals I've seen in Coz are shorties, so I would not count on being able to rent a full suit. January is a strange month weather-wise down there; I've seen water temps above 80, as well as air temps a little on the chilly side. It's impossible to say how you'll feel; I would be okay in a shorty, but would eventually want a full suit as the week went on unless the water temps were unusually high. In the summer-fall I always use a shorty in Coz. Don's suggestion of a beanie is a good one; despite the goofy look, they really help. Staying warm during the surface intervals will also help.

Here in Coz now. Ususally don't get this cold in 80+ degree water. Bring a long suit.

Vanessar

Thanks, guys. I will get 3 mm long suit and wife will get a shorty. She is better looking one anyway!

Blue Angel has a bunch of rental long suits.
They do huh? I never looked. Like to wear my own, always. Good to know, tho...
Thanks, guys. I will get 3 mm long suit and wife will get a shorty. She is better looking one anyway!
If you're gonna buy her a suit, get her a long. Really worth the small difference.

One last thing to consider - how long you'll be down. If you are diving with an op that uses large steel tanks, your dive time could well increase by 30-45 minutes for shallow dives. A person can get mighty cold if you're doing that day after day (and night...).

Man.. Id dive NUDE in 75-80F water...
Only reason Id use a shorty was to avoid potential blisters from the gear or scratching my balls on some firecoral :p

Man.. Id dive NUDE in 75-80F water...
Only reason Id use a shorty was to avoid potential blisters from the gear or scratching my balls on some firecoral :p
Not many of us were raised in ice igloos. :lol2:

Ask 12 people for what wetsuit and you'll get 12 different answers. It varies on what you're used to and how your body handles it. 80F is still well below 98.6 average body temp, so everyone will lose body heat - some faster than others, some feeling it faster than others.

I based my answer on his "Most time I dove at SCAL. I wear 7 MM suit and can handle 3 dive per day," and my disdain for shorty suites. I know many divers go in shorties, but many accident reports start with that choice. :11:

I dive 5 in one day at Catalina once, in a 7 mil over 1 mil plus heavy beany - never chilled. I tried the 1 mil at January at Coz and it was almost enough, but the 3 mil was a relief.

Are you saying accidents and shorties has a connection? Id love to know more about that, but this is not the right thread..

I based my answer on his "Most time I dove at SCAL. I wear 7 MM suit and can handle 3 dive per day," and my disdain for shorty suites. I know many divers go in shorties, but many accident reports start with that choice.

What's the connection? How many accident reports start out with "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast"? ;^)

I have been diving Cozumel in a shorty for 15+ years with no wetsuit related mishaps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom