Wetsuit at COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colder down

Reaction score
I will be at COZ in the middle of Jan. I have 3 MM short, do you think that will be enough? I am not very good to deal with cold. Most time I dove at SCAL. I wear 7 MM suit and can handle 3 dive per day.

I would FREEZE to death in a 3mm shortie. In the winter, in Coz, the past couple of years I've been diving with a full 5/4 suit PLUS a 3 mm hooded vest. This trip I'm trying something different - my 3 mm full suit plus the hooded short jacket from my 7mm suit.... YMMV

I have seen people in shorts with no wetsuit, in 3mm shortys, and 3mm full. I agree with MMM, I freeze at about mid-week. I use 3/2mm full w/ hood. Next time down I am going to use a 5/4/3mm full and my hood, but everyone is different.

That's good to know. In that case, I will rent wetsuit on site or bring my 7mm, which maybe an over kill. How about snorkeling? My wife can't dive but she likes snorkeling. In her case, does she need 3 mm shorty?

I am the oddball here because I don't wear one in Cozumel but 98% of the people I have dove with did or wished they had. Water temps on the surface in winter run 78-80, and at depth the coldest I have had stored on my computer was 76 F. My observations of the vast majority of people is that even if they were OK in the water they get a chill once back on the boat. Expect to wear at least a 3 mil plus have something to keep you warm once out of the water.

I just got back from a week in Coz in a 3mm shortie and was fine. I never even added the cap. My wife OTOH insisted on her 5mm and would have been cold in anything less. 7mm is gross overkill from both a temp and a weight standpoint. I'd suggest a light jumpsuit that you could add the 3mm shortie on top of if you want.

My wife and I also both snorkeled. I was quite comfortable and she was OK without any thermal protection.

I used to wear a 3mm shortie in Coz, but would usually get a little chilled by the second dive. I bought a 3mm full and it's perfect. I had it with me in Feb 06 for a week and never got cold. My threshold for the shortie seems to be about 79 degrees F. Anything below that and I wear the full in Coz.

What suit is needed will vary a lot with divers. I know one lady who chills so easily that she took her dry suit there in August...
I will be at COZ in the middle of Jan. I have 3 MM short, do you think that will be enough? I am not very good to deal with cold. Most time I dove at SCAL. I wear 7 MM suit and can handle 3 dive per day.
Based on "7 mil for SCal," the 3 mil will probly work, even more so for the snorkeler wife who won't have her head completely submerged all during the dives. Having a beanie in your wetsuit pocket is nice back up; I've donned mine there when I got chilled on a dive for instant relief.

Equally important at times is how you self care on the surface interval, i.e windbreaker or light jacket with hood, dry hair with towel and don cap, drink warm liquids - never the ice water - requesting a bottle not in the cooler, etc.

Your info does not reflect how many dives you have, but I hate shorties for newer divers - too much skin exposed to scrapes, like boarding a live boat in the Coz channel. Since you already own one, tho - perhaps add a long skin and wear both.

Last January, I used a 1 mil full or a 3 mil shorty and was fine.

I get cold very quickly. Last February, I used a 2.5mm microprene wetsuit or a polarfleece plus a 3mm vest. I also found I stayed warmer if I put on a dry wetsuit for my 2nd dive. Its a little pesty bringing 2 but for the sake of comfort it is worth it. I also like to wear a "squid" hat. If you are like me, a jacket for between dives and the ride back to the marina is essential!
Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom