Wet suit weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question regarding weighting in a 3MM shorty vs a 6.5 MM farmer john. Just bought the 6.5 MM in preparation for a AOW class this spring (I didn't think the shorty would cut it in Ohio during a 'deep' quarry dive). I know, I know - I'll have to try this in a pool, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to one in the near future - so I am curious.

In fresh water I use 18 lbs with the shorty (10 lbs on the weight belt and 8 lbs in the BC). How much additional weight do you think I'll need to add with the 6.5 MM?

If you have the option of going to an indoor pool with your shortie and weights on, jump in and see what level you float at with a full breath of air and floating straight up (not laying down). Then put on the heavy suit and repeat, and see how many extra weights you have to hold until you float at the same level. Keep in mind that a little of the extra buoyancy will go away after the first couple of dives with a new suit. If this isn't an option, take a large array of weights with you, and my WAG would be 30 pounds.

Thanks Jo! I was thinking 10-12 more pounds should do it...I'm trying to get into the indoor pool my LDS uses for classes over the winter to test this theoy!

In fresh water, wearing a 6.5 mm wetsuit with hood etc, Al 80 tank: 10% of body weight +7lbs and adjust from there. (For salt water add 3 lbs.)

I cannot stress enough that you should be doing your buoyancy check in ALL the gear you will be wearing when diving. This includes all exposure protection and a BC. Remember that on a full lungful of air you should be floating at eye level; when you exhale you should sink.

Also remember that there is a weighting difference between using an AL vs a steel tank; steel being about 4 lbs negative even when empty, while AL gets positively bouyant by about the same amount when approx. 1500 psi or less is in the tank.

In the end, these are all "rules of thumb" and nothing replaces doing your own buoyancy check with your own gear.

Have fun!

~SubMariner~

You also have to realize that you will need more weight (well, most people do) when diving in salt water.

Plus, the more you dive, the better you get at your buoyancy and you can even adjust/drop weights -- also due to the decompression of the neoprene in the wetsuit, the more you dive, the less buoyancy it retains as the cells get reshaped flatter (or so I've been told by many people).

Just my own observations -- may not apply to you or anyone else, but it works for me.

Margaret

Back
Top Bottom