wet suit fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twoblues

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone: Someone at Wet Wear has just told me that a properly fitting wet suit ,fitted at her mentioned 31 points will allow the downsizing from 7mm to 3mm and still keep the protection factor of the 7mm; providing easier donning of the suit. Experts please advise. My body shape/weight do not allow a better fit with off-the-rack suits.

Might want to read through this current topic to understand how a wetsuit actually works.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-wetsuit-help-hurt-myth-busted-confirmed.html

I suppose It's possible that a really fitting and well sealed 3mm could be warmer than a 7mm with a terrible fit that allows a ton of water exchange, but I'd need a bit of evidence to support the claim for a really good 3mm versus a decent 7mm.

Unless the 7 mill fits like a rag, a 3mil will never be as warm..me thinks someone is trying to pull a fast one on you .

A couple of things to consider...
Any custom fitted suit will usually keep you warmer than a stock suit if you aren't a stock size...and most of us aren't. (No one makes a rack size called "jumbo shrimp")
Wet Wear makes great custom suits. Their neoprene is Rubatex which doesn't have the same compress-ability as most neoprenes therefore a thinner Rubatex suit can keep you as warm as a stretchy but thicker neoprene can...Usually you can downsize one level so a 5mm can substitute for a 7mm stretch, and a 3mm is as warm as a 5mm stretch.
I personally have one of their 3mm suits which was as warm as the stock 5mm suits and with a vest equaled my 7mm.
I also have a 5mm to get me through the winter in 68deg water.
Wetwear suits seem to be nearly indestructible...most folks I know who have them have worn them forever and the suits are still going strong.

The downside is that unlike those ultra stretchy neoprene suits that compress at depth, is the suit must be an exact fit...they have little room for weight changes in comparison to an old Henderson Hyperstrech, I could change 4 clothing sizes and it still fit great...my rubatex suit got uncomfortabe when I "grew" - another middle aged woe.

Wetwear does have some neat features. The back zippers are extra long at an angle from lower left hip to right of the neck - giving you more room to pull it over hips & shoulders.
Long zippers at ankles and wrists make it very easy to don and doff...and on a warm day I like to unzip arms and legs during the surface interval to cool down in the sun.
Seals at the neck, wrists, and zippers help reduce any water flow which affects overall warmth.

Go for the custom fit suit. It is way warmer, much more comfortable and easier to get on and off.

I started out with custom and really did not understand how nice it was until I broke a zipper that prevented my neck seal from functioning properly. The rest of the trip was cold due to the continual flow of water into my suit. Something I had never experienced before.

I see way too many divers doning 2 or 3 layers of improperly fitting suits in an attempt to stay warm. Adding another layer of loose does little to no good. I have seen neck seals were I could stick my hand down their backs. Useless for thermal protection.

The biggest factor in warm is the seal to prevent a continual flow of cold water.

A proper fitting 3mm is way warmer than a loose 7mm.

Thanks mselenaous!

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 08:08 PM ----------

Thanks ,giffenk, all the info I need.

I have a few Wetwear suits and I can atest to thier warmth factor. Are you sure they were telling you to get a 3mm Jumpsuit instead of a 7mm Jumpsuit? When I ordered my first suit and wanted a 7mm, Wetwear suggested that I do a two piece jumpsuit with short sleeve shorty over top. I have a 3mm jumpsuit and a 3mm short sleeve shorty and a 5mm short sleeve shorty. I wear either one of these shorty over the top of my jumpsuit depending on how cold it is and how long I will be done. This gives me the option to choose what I want to wear for that dive instead of being stuck with just a 7mm. I have been buying suits from wetwear since 2008 and have always been happy. I hope this helps!!

Anyone: Someone at Wet Wear has just told me that a properly fitting wet suit ,fitted at her mentioned 31 points will allow the downsizing from 7mm to 3mm and still keep the protection factor of the 7mm; providing easier donning of the suit. Experts please advise. My body shape/weight do not allow a better fit with off-the-rack suits.

Taken to extremes she could be correct but only if the 7mm is a absurdly bad fit, and I have seen divers that would qualify. If it were universally true every cold water diver would be in line for such a suit.

Unless you are a template fit an off the rack suit there will be shortcomings that a good custom suit can overcome. The neoprene used in good standard customs is also superior to what you will find in off the rack suits.

I could believe that for many divers a custom 5mm compares with 7mm of the rack.

I have heard of nothing but good about Wet Wear and I'm considering such a suit myself.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom