Western PA Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for some new diving in Western PA that would be within a couple hours of Pittsburgh. Am getting a bit tired of diving Strawberry Quarry and I would like someplace to go other than Lake Erie. I am looking primarily for something deeper than 35 feet, preferably closer to 100 and at least 10ft vis. This year has been rough on the old checkbook and trips out to Dutch, Bainbridge and so forth are getting expensive, especially with the cost of gas these days.

Realize it's more Lake Erie diving but a group of us are getting together at ScubaJenny's parents. Jenny's coming up from Florida for the weekend and has arranged a charter dive. The charter departs somewhere near Fairview, PA. The thread is in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew subforum Lake Effect Divers.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98325

Paula

diver_paula:
Realize it's more Lake Erie diving but a group of us are getting together at ScubaJenny's parents. Jenny's coming up from Florida for the weekend and has arranged a charter dive. The charter departs somewhere near Fairview, PA. The thread is in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew subforum Lake Effect Divers.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98325

Paula

I saw that on the Great Lakes board. I wanted to go but I got prior engagements that I have to attend to. Hopefully will get up there with the Erie divers soon.

darylm74:
Looking for some new diving in Western PA that would be within a couple hours of Pittsburgh. Am getting a bit tired of diving Strawberry Quarry and I would like someplace to go other than Lake Erie. I am looking primarily for something deeper than 35 feet, preferably closer to 100 and at least 10ft vis. This year has been rough on the old checkbook and trips out to Dutch, Bainbridge and so forth are getting expensive, especially with the cost of gas these days.

Generally, my friends from Pitt come over to Whitestar (3.5 hours) or Gilboa (4.5hrs) to do their quarry diving.

Whitestar maxes at 70ft with ave dept of 40-50ft, viz can be quite good unless there are lots' of classes. Bad days can be 15-25 near the entrances, but further away can be twice that. On good days, or even during the week, I've seen viz of 75-100ft before... not all the time though, so don't get your hopes up.

Gilboa max's at 135ft+ and can be quite high viz during the offseason (I've sat... okay... hovered on the bus and seen almost everything in the shallow side of the quarry. During summer with classes and rain, don't expect more than 25-30ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom