well this bites...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
...this tank I bought from a local guy is too old to be hyrdoed. As of the end of this month, local shops won't fill anything other than 85, even with a current hyrdo. My tank was made in 73....

Any ideas on what I can do with it? I was hoping to finally have my own tank to dive with, I have basically everything else (I need to get better fins sometime). The tank is in good shape, hasn't been used in a few years, and doesnt look like it was used much before that. Last owner used it for maybe 20 dives.

Ah, if I'm pissing and moaning about having to buy a tank for maybe $100 or so, there's not much chance of me blowing a few thousand on a good compressor. Maybe the other dive shops in town use a different hyrdo place that will still test it and if it passes, fill it for me.

How much do you think I could sell it for? Has a J valve. Has air in it, seems to work. Needs a hydro and a visual test, but looks good on the outside. Much better than alot of rental tanks :)

Make a barstool out of it....

I suppose I should call the other two local shops and ask if they will send it off to be hydroed. All three shops here use the same reg repair guy, not sure who hydros tanks. Any ideas on kinds of stores I could call that might hydro stuff? I might even save money, going through the store raises the price I'm sure. If it's got a sticker that says it's in hydro or whatnot, I'd think most stores would fill it without looking at it.

I'd make a barstool out of it if you'd trade me a new tank for it :) I could do alot of things to it/with it, but I'd like most to be able to dive with it! I can always borrow a tank from a buddy, but I was so excited about finally having all the gear so that I could go dive whenever I wnated to without spending 45 minutes waiting to rent equipment in the morning and spending 15 minutes returning it all. Plus, I don't have a credit card and every shop wants a credit card number. Some have almost refused to rent me gear, but most are satisfied with a debit card number or my drivers license number. I got a good deal on the tank, so it's not a huge bummer, i would never have guessed the thing was that old though.

just to mention, it is an aluminum tank.

I let out all the pressure took the valve off. Cut the botom off. Put the valve back on and made a windchime out of it.

Cut it in half lenght wise,,,make nice planters!

I can't dive with windchimes and planters though guys! I mean technically, I might could dive with a planter. I'd have to put it in a big case though, with grow lights or something. I guess if I had a big enough planter, it might work as a rebreather. I might need more old tanks though....oh, and a submarine to hold them all in. A nuclear sub, so I can run grow lights. Wow, this is absurdly simple! All I need is a few more crap tanks and a submarine and I can dive this weekend! WOOT!

JahJahwarrior, it is a bad idea to try and do everything on the cheap. You also posted you bought a BC for $50 that has a bad power inflator. Instead of saving money, you could end up with a pile of junk that cost more to repair than you paid for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom