Well I think that I am Finally getting a clue but I need a little bit of Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I'm sure you have read, a computer will extend your bottom time. It calculates your Nitrogen exposure based on your actual profile rather than a flat table profile that assumes are at the same depth for the entire dive. The computer will also provide you with an ascent rate indicator, a temperature reading, will keep track of multiple dives in one day, keeps a dive log for you, etc., etc. Different computers will have a different level of conservatism. You can research this information at several sources. I use the Suunto Fusion and I am very happy with it. Not all computers display the same information of course so research this carefully and make sure you get what information you want.

--Matt

Snowbear:

I've spent a small fortune listing dive gear on ebay and haven't sold a thing. I don't think I'll do it again.

INTRUDERDIVER:
Well I think that you should figure out what Intruder stands for before you start calling people pukes. The Intruder stands for a motorcycle that I ride. It is a 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC.

I don't mean to speak for Rick but he's an ex military pilot so I think he's talking about a plane and using terminology that would be taken as freindly by a fellow pilot who flies or flew an intruder.

I don't think he meant any insult.

I have to say a few things because it seems like some people are trying to disuade you from buying a computer. Very good choices on everything so far and a computer, in my opinion, is mandatory dive equipment.
You spend thousands on lessons and gear, you should beable to spend the time you want without having to use tables which really limit your bottom time, especially with multilevel dives. A computer is a very cheap investment that gives a great deal more bottom time.
A basic, cheap computer that you understand and read easily when you look at it is perfect. I would get one that is nitrox capable. I have seen and used everything from the cheapest hockey puck style to an air integrated/wrist mount uwatec that is very nice. I like them all equally well for varying advantages/disadvantages. Get the same comp. for you and your wife so you both understand them, user changeable batteries are very nice and find a good price.
Good luck,
Justin

INTRUDERDIVER:
Wendy,
So I was told that when I go to Mexico they told me down there that they will take the people with the Dive computers in one group and people that dive with the PADI dive tables and have the people that use the dive tables come up 15 to 20 minutes sooner. This is what I don't want to happen

Did they say why? Does a computer somehow make you more immune to DCS?

What do they do with people who prefer to plan and conduct their own dives?

Intruder - you are making a good choice with a computer, and the Aeris is a good selection.

In most rec situations, especially in places like Coz, a computer is a great tool to have. Even if the dive plan is to descend to X' for Y minutes, those plans can often vary based upon conditions and what there is to see below. A computer will definitely extend your bottom in cases where you are not rigidly diving an agreed upon profile.

Now for people who do technical or cave diving, there are different issues that make a computer less of a useful tool. However, as you read this board, keep in mind the following, "If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

BTW - welcome to the board from another CO diver...

strider:
I have to say a few things because it seems like some people are trying to disuade you from buying a computer. Very good choices on everything so far and a computer, in my opinion, is mandatory dive equipment.
You spend thousands on lessons and gear, you should beable to spend the time you want without having to use tables which really limit your bottom time, especially with multilevel dives. A computer is a very cheap investment that gives a great deal more bottom time.

I don't want to hijack the thread but...

If a computer is the only way you know to plan and make make a multilevel dive it can be useful. However a computer is in no way shape or form manditory equipment.

I don't use a computer and my dive last as long as I want them to.

Mike,

No one is saying it is mandatory (at least, not how I read it).

However, I would submit that for the average recreational diver, diving on a group boat during vacation where the profile will often vary from the initial sketchy overview by the DM, they will derive extended bottom time from using a computer. I've also noticed that in that situation computer wearers often outnumber non-computer wearers.

MikeFerrara:
Did they say why? Does a computer somehow make you more immune to DCS?

What do they do with people who prefer to plan and conduct their own dives?

I see what the people down there are talking about. I have done several dives in Provo where straight tables would have had me topside a good half an hour before I actually ended the dives. It has nothing to do with immunity. It has to do with the fact that you not at that square depth for the entire dive.

We are talking about relatively new divers, not tech divers that don't use tables the way that they are taught in OW class (direct ascent to the surface at the end of the listed bottom time for the given depth, aka "square profile") because they know that they are still off-gassing below 15 ft. We both know that dive tables don't make an allowance for playing around at 35-40 ft. on the reef for another twenty minutes or better after you hit a deeper depth during the start of the dive (at least SSI and IANTD tables don't). A dive computer or the mind of a more experienced diver does.

I doubt that an experienced diver would be paid much attention by the crew as they have to worry about the people who want to play "cowboy" or can't dive.

BTW, The Aeries would be a good computer although I personally prefer the Suunto products.

It is true you will have much shorter BT's dive on tables--- However you will be more conservitive. dive computers monitor your depth and constantly, where a table is planed for your maxium depth --- Tables dont care if you only spent 2 minutes at that depth you still have to come up according to that depth--- For instance if you are using air (icky, yuch) and you dive down to 100 fsw- your Dooper No- Deco limits 20 minutes (depending on what tables you are using)--- It doesnt matter if after 2 minutes you go back up to 40 fsw (where the no-deco limits are 130 minutes)--- You have to plan your dive and dive your plan....

Now look I do lots of stuff below 200fsw (trimix rebreather stuff) where I always use tables... But for crusing around in depths above 130fsw I use computers---

You didnt say what price range you want to stay within so I cant really help you on what type of computer to get ---- What does your instructor want you to get an Aries? If so I would ask for other options--- When I worked at a dive shop we had all sorts of problems with those things- They had many recalls too---

I can tell you what I use or have used in the past--- But I dont claim to know every computer out there...

Cochran Nemisis 2 a which is air intergrated Radio transmitted Wrist Unit --- 1200 bones--- Very expensive --lots of features you may not need I would not recommend it to you based on what you have told us about yourself.

I have a Cochran Commander Wrist Mount--- 500-600 bones- Very nice computer has 2 nitrox mixes or you can use air---- Ive gotten about 800 dives on it--- Still going strong---user replaceable batteries---Back light--- Computer interfaceable--- A little werid to program, takes getting use to... Good Warrenty, Good Company to deal with

Diverite Nitec--- 400-500 bones---Wrist mount ----Good computer--- air or nitrox--- easy to read display-- easy to program--- Computer interfaceable--- No back light :( --- Non user replaceable batteries :( ---- But good computer

I have a Suunto Cobra--- 700-800 bones Air intergrated Hose mount :( --- New RGBM tables --- has lots of cool features very popular--- and dependable--- Back light---- User replaceable batteries--- 2 year warrenty--Computer interface--- Quick disconect--- Really nice computer

Suunto Vitec-- Way Over kill for you

VR-3 Trimix/ Rebreather computer--- Again too much for you

Look around talk to people--- I am sorry noone else is willing to help you with the question you asked... I have been diving for many years and have been on both sides of the counter---

Tips for buying computers:

Start by researching prices on the net or go to differnt shops talk to people, talk to your instructor---Once you find one that fits you, find the best price--- Then go to your dive shop and tell them what you want and how much you are willing to pay (hopefully they carry many different brands). They will either accept your offer or tell you to Pound Sand.. If they tell you to pound sand then find a another dive shop to call home (you know what I mean)
If you buy from a shop you get the best of both worlds... Prices and (hopefully) Service...

Ok now let the dive shop/ Computer bashing begin... Play nice or I will bit back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom