Well I think that I am Finally getting a clue but I need a little bit of Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INTRUDERDIVER

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I just went through the classroom section of our certification and our closed water section of the Scuba certification. Well the funny thing was before I took the class I was going to make a common mistake and spend about $1200 on a underwater camera. Well I guess after this class something hit me and I decided that since we are going to Cozumel for 7 nights in May that I might want to look into computers before then. So instead of buying the camera I decided to purchase computers for the wife and I. The delimia that I in is I don't know what to do. I have found so many computers and everyone has their own opinion at the dive shop about which computer is the best. Well since I am new I am depending on fellow diver's to tell me what they think. After searching all of the computers I have found the Aeris ATMOS 2 for the best price. I am paying just over $300 dollars for each one. Does anyone know if this computer is worth it or should I go with something else and why?

So, are you an ex-A6 puke or does "Intruder" have some other heritage?
Rick (Corsairs forever!)

Do you really need a computer?

How often are you planning on diving?

I have been diving for years and have never owned a dive computer. I just didn't want to spend the money on something I can do on a set of tables. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but oh well.

If I could find some one to buy all my computers that I don't use I would buy more tanks.

You may want to do a quick search on Atmos... there are several posts about first computers and whether folks like their Atmos 2's. You may also notice a trend on the board that is somewhat anti-computer. Bottom line, if you pay attention (always a good thing when diving), you really don't need one. OTOH, they do make some aspects of diving easier. I suggest you do the research yourself (there is alot if info pro and con on this board if you look).

btw, probably a good decision not to spend $1200 on a camera. Learn to dive first. Cameras have a habit of distracting you and are generally considered a bit of a task load for a new diver.

Have a great vacation in Coz, I wish it were me...

Intruderdiver, you must fill out your profile to get people to seriously respond. For all we know, you are an Aeris salesperson. Especially with that moniker.

I think you should have a computer for some very good reasons but please fill out your profile so I know who you are.

I am going to Cozumel for some multi-level diving on Saturday so that should tip you off right there about a good reason. The reason why some may not want you to have a computer is that they allow you to max out on your NDL with repetitive diving = more chance of DCS.

Rick Murchison:
So, are you an ex-A6 puke or does "Intruder" have some other heritage?
Rick (Corsairs forever!)

Well I think that you should figure out what Intruder stands for before you start calling people pukes. The Intruder stands for a motorcycle that I ride. It is a 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC.

Wendy:
Do you really need a computer?

How often are you planning on diving?

I have been diving for years and have never owned a dive computer. I just didn't want to spend the money on something I can do on a set of tables. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but oh well.

Wendy,
This question has gone through my mind and we have a trip planned in May, then one in November and then another one at the beginning of next year to Hawaii. So I was looking into rentals but if I rent one for 3 different weeks that is 100 dollars a week for each of us. So I was told that when I go to Mexico they told me down there that they will take the people with the Dive computers in one group and people that dive with the PADI dive tables and have the people that use the dive tables come up 15 to 20 minutes sooner. This is what I don't want to happen

crispos:
Intruderdiver, you must fill out your profile to get people to seriously respond. For all we know, you are an Aeris salesperson. Especially with that moniker.

I think you should have a computer for some very good reasons but please fill out your profile so I know who you are.

I am going to Cozumel for some multi-level diving on Saturday so that should tip you off right there about a good reason. The reason why some may not want you to have a computer is that they allow you to max out on your NDL with repetitive diving = more chance of DCS.

Thanks,
I am doing it now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom