Welcome Home to The Greater Tampa Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Welcome home everyone. :D

As most can see we have been restored to our SB home on a back-up from May; hence, loads of things were lost. If you haven't already, please see Doc's message at the top of this forum.

During the time from May until present we had a great, great, many new members to SB/The Greater Tampa Bay Area. To those new members; my personal apologies for you having to go through the sign-up process again but we appreciate that you have. :D We are certainly happy to have you here and apologize for any confusion during our down-time. Hopefully, some of you found your way to SB2.

Anyway, going forward a note to new members: This is a place where people from all over this area, or maybe just visiting, can get with some of us and do some diving. We used to spend a lot of time planning on this thread or discussing past, present, and future diving. However, with the advent of our new club forum, this has become more of a chat thread. Know that whatever we may be discussing, you are more than welcome to jump right in. :D

I am soo happy to see the board back up ... scubaboard2 was ok, but now we are home :wink:
Kim P

I don't see Doc's message on top of the forum???? :confused:

Chat from SB2 so's we don't feel totally out of sorts :D
eandiver

Tampa Bay
A thread for those of you in this area or those of you who are interested in this area.

Includes OW, wrecks, salt, fresh, cavern and caves.

divergirl4u
Helloooooooo anybody home

moteman
ahhhhhh, now this looks more like home.

git-r-dun diver
Ah almost as good as the original At least they gave us somewhere to go. Is the other / original board going to come back????

narcosis
Ean, You da man!

427Dave
Ean is on the ball, I am surprised he beat MissD to it. Good move.

njdiver95
anyone familiar with the Bradenton area?? just looking for some info on any dive sites (salt or fresh) that may be in that area. my wife and I are OW and are thinking about planning a trip there.

git-r-dun diver Quoting and responding to - njdiver95

anyone familiar with the Bradenton area?? just looking for some info on any dive sites (salt or fresh) that may be in that area. my wife and I are OW and are thinking about planning a trip there.
Yeah there are a couple of god shore dives there. The spanish Rocks and the Sugar Barge/ Regina. Stop in to Seatrek Divers on Anna Maria and they can tell you exactly how to get to them. Someone here will probably give you the info as well. I would but I am in a bit of a hurry at the moment.

narcosis
I think "Git-r-dun" is big on that area, you may want to PM him if he doesn't respond to this directly.

See that, were your ears ringing Git-r-dun

MissD:
MissD didn't want to hear it :) 'twas not up for a lynching by anyone today those mods are busy. It was mentioned from the get go - by Howarde - no club stuff was going not be set-up. I do believe, it is obvious, that was to keep things simple for now. However, I don't think a thread is too much to ask. Hey it is our roots :) :) :) Anyway, I have been too busy working on pics to share with you guys :) Though the other thread that Dave started looked just like Tampa Bay, lol but this one has our name:p , I love it. You can certainly say this is one strong club :yeahbaby:

That said, thanks Ean. I have been worried as I have let a lot of new peeps know about the board... I just hope they haven't given up.

So what goes on people's? I busted booty today cleaning up the home of two goliaths. There was line, rope, monster hooks, weights dangling "in mid-air", all sorts of bad stuff.

MissDirected Quoting and resonding to git-r-dun diver:
Yeah there are a couple of god shore dives there. The spanish Rocks and the Sugar Barge/ Regina. Stop in to Seatrek Divers on Anna Maria and they can tell you exactly how to get to them. Someone here will probably give you the info as well. I would but I am in a bit of a hurry at the moment.
I had just made a google map of Spanish Rocks and posted it on the other board. All you had to do was click on it, put in your address, and google would make a map from your home to the spot.

BTW, I'd rather do two on Spanish Rocks and skip that Sugar Barge.

moteman

I'll have to agree with MissD, the sugar barge isn't much to see anymore, about three hunks of steel about the size of a VW. I have the directions to "spanish rocks on my work computer...I"ll post the directions tomorrow. I think I also saved the map

moteman
MissD did you read my dive report on Red Rocks? The best shore/kayak dive I've done since I moved here.

MissDirected
NO, I did not see your report. Can you re-post it here?

git-r-dun diver

narcosis
I think "Git-r-dun" is big on that area, you may want to PM him if he doesn't respond to this directly.

See that, were your ears ringing Git-r-dun
thanks guys...will do..

MissDirected
Pics to share from today. I have to say I am horribly disappointed in how some of the close-ups came out; hence, I am not even going to bother to post them. Anyway, you will find a few decent ones here.

Report: Viz was about 20 ft and the water was way too warm. I forget the temp now but it was at least 85 (if you really need to know, I will go look it up). We headed on on GulfCoastDiver's boat. We being; CoolTech, Adam (CT's son), John/GulfcoastDiver and myself, MissD . Our plan was to go to the Sheridan today, however, the rollers were too much today so we settled on something closer in; The Rube Allen.

Getting on with it, I did some serious work today, and I do mean work, on the Goliath's home. It had rope, line, weights, everything, all over. Even CoolTech jumped in and cut a line, it was so bad. There were two Go's - one was about 400 and the other about 200. The larger was very accommodating in allowing pictures, as long as you took your time with him. What is that old saying? Patience is a virtue.

CoolTech spotted dinner. I blew it I took a stab at with my knife, after much discussion with my three buddies underwater, lol. Let me just say, a blunt tip is great for digging but not for killing. He got away but reminded me I need to move a pole spear to the top of my list of goodies.

So it is late, and I am beat. I apologize for the short report, Hope the ics make up for it.

Edit: Removed pics.

go6good.jpg

Removed pics.

MissD:

OMGosh this is soooooooo bad! Gulfcoast got me chasing the flounder then flipping him the birdie wordie, mind you in jest :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g4...t=P1010033.flv

WebHead:

Careful of that last fish(pic). Looks like he just escaped from jail.

MissDirected
Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead
Careful of that last fish(pic). Looks like he just escaped from jail.
Tim, Tim, Tim,... *miss just shaking her head*

webhead
he's jail bait......

427Dave
Nice pictures for the vis MissD, thanks a lot.

eandiver
Nice. I start a thread, go to bed and when I wake up it's 3 pages long. Guess that puts to rest the BS about not a lot happens in this area.

moteman
Spanish Rocks Directions:

Google: SeaTrek Scuba 105 7th St.N. Bradenton Beach,FL 34217 then follow directions from there.

"Location: 1.7 miles north of Seatrek Divers. Take Gulf Drive north to the first traffic light. Turn left staying on Gulf Drive; the street curves right. Just past the curve you will see a beach access sign on the left. This marks the entrance to the dive site. Walk to the beach and go left (south) past 6 houses. The ledges are straight offshore...The first ledge is approximately 75 yards from the shoreline; the second ledge is 125 yards off shore."

sorry MissD, I couldn't find the map.

johnnyseko
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDirected
OMGosh this is soooooooo bad! Gulfcoast got me chasing the flounder then flipping him the birdie wordie, mind you in jest

Have I taught you nothing After we ate well the other night, I figure you would remember how to catch them! Flipping them the bird will not entice them into your catch bag....

Appears to be the first time 'scuba rage' has been captured on video!

427Dave
That is great I am guessing that the finger held up was an attempt to noddle the flounder, like they do with cat fish.

MissDirected

Yes, yes, yes, that was it

Note to self; must buy a catch bag.

ScoobaDiva
Okay okay, I can stop hyperventilating now....Had a hard time finding everyone...I feel safe now...thanks MissD..WHEW!!!

MissDirected
Hahhahahaahah, *Miss holding Diva, stroking her hair, reassuring her everything will be okay, you are home now. Safe and sound.*

ScoobaDiva
**wimper wimper** sniff...thanks MissD....Much better...

AHAA HA!!!! There you guys are...and you thought you'd try to ditch the Diva and leave her on Scubaboard2??? I think NOT!:no :D

moteman
Dive report repost per MissD's request...Red Rocks:

I went diving @ Red Rocks Reef offshore of Gasparilla Island Saturday, and discovered a real gem. Visibility was about 20 ft +. The reef is about 100 yards offshore of the Boca Grande Range light, with a water depth of about 17 ft around the reef & 10 feet on top of the reef. We kayaked out to it and could see fish swimming on the bottom. There were lots of both hard & soft corals, sponges, stone crabs, whelks & conchs and plenty of fish. I id’d raccoon butterflies, parrotfish, scrawled cowfish, a huge puffer, filefish, and one of the largest lizardfish I had ever seen (almost 3 ft) along with the usual, slippery dicks, mangrove snapper, sheephead & pinfish. I have been told that the viz was unusually good, normal viz is around 5-6 ft. I took lots of pictures, although I’m kinda new to U/W digital photography so many weren’t very good, but as soon as I figure out how to upload them, I’ll post them. BTW thanks dkramer for the trip invite.

git-r-dun diver
So does this mean that there will be a meet and greet at that dive spot soon? If it's that good you have to share it with the rest of us. I'm sure with this bunch of folks we can havce one of those arranged in no time.

moteman
directions to Red Rocks
Red Rock Directions

• Take I-75 south to the North River Road exit. (It’s the one right after Jacaranda) Go south on North River Road.
• Cross over 41 & the Road changes its name to South River Road, follow that until you come to Pine Street.
• Turn left on Pine Street.
• Follow Pine Street to 776
• Cross over 776 & the street name will change to Placida Road.
• Follow Placida for a while until you get to the Boca Grande Causeway. turn right
• Follow the causeway to the toll booth ($4), after you get through the toll booth; just follow the road all the way to the 4 way stop sign (5th St. W.).
• Turn right at the stop sign & then left at the flag pole (Gulf Bvld.).
• Follow the road to the next stop sign (Gulf Bvld. & Sea Breeze Ct.).

Ahead of you will be a white, tower lighthouse (Boca Grande Range Light - 26 44’27.6”N, 82 15’46.8”W). That is the Sandspur Tower. Parking lot is located on your right, just north of that tower($2 to park all day). (Remember, you're heading south, if you pass the tower, you went too far.)

The reef is kinda small, about 1 acre in size, its 100 yards west of the Boca Grande range light. If the viz is good, you can see the reef from the shore.

I'll bet a dive can be planned for after Invasion

MissDirected
Mote, try using Photobucket.com I would highly suggest, for the time being, not uploading pics to SB. Photobucket is good place, as is a site called flickr

naturewalker36
i am here if any one wants to know

git-r-dun diver
Well now my day is complete!!!!! was not getting any sleep at night worrying about you not being here!!!!!

naturewalker36
oh lord the pooooooo gets deeper

eandiver
Originally Posted by naturewalker36
i am here if any one wants to know
Did I ask?

It was a pleasure last week at Paradise....no silt and good diving. 4 people the whole day. Thanks.

naturewalker36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandiver
Did I ask?

It was a pleasure last week at Paradise....no silt and good diving. 4 people the whole day. Thanks.
that it was and i hope i didnt silt it up to bad on our last dive and boy do i get some winners to dive with

divergirl4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by moteman
Red Rock Directions

• Take I-75 south to the North River Road exit. (It’s the one right after Jacaranda) Go south on North River Road.
• Cross over 41 & the Road changes its name to South River Road, follow that until you come to Pine Street.
• Turn left on Pine Street.
• Follow Pine Street to 776
• Cross over 776 & the street name will change to Placida Road.
• Follow Placida for a while until you get to the Boca Grande Causeway. turn right
• Follow the causeway to the toll booth ($4), after you get through the toll booth; just follow the road all the way to the 4 way stop sign (5th St. W.).
• Turn right at the stop sign & then left at the flag pole (Gulf Bvld.).
• Follow the road to the next stop sign (Gulf Bvld. & Sea Breeze Ct.).

Ahead of you will be a white, tower lighthouse (Boca Grande Range Light - 26 44’27.6”N, 82 15’46.8”W). That is the Sandspur Tower. Parking lot is located on your right, just north of that tower($2 to park all day). (Remember, you're heading south, if you pass the tower, you went too far.)

The reef is kinda small, about 1 acre in size, its 100 yards west of the Boca Grande range light. If the viz is good, you can see the reef from the shore.

I'll bet a dive can be planned for after Invasion
We will plan a meet and greet at this location Next ....
Well not on the LBTS shore dive on the weekend of August 4th. But any other time would be great Like the weekend of the 21st sounds good
Kim P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom