Weirdest/Eeriest Discoveries Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ystrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys,

I was having a conversation about scuba diving while sitting in the hot tub last night, and the question came up, "what's the weirdest thing you've found while diving?"

So I wanted to extend the question to everyone on the forum and start a fun thread. What is the weirdest/eeriest/spookiest thing you've found or seen while diving?

I only got back into diving this past summer and am still pretty new so I don't have a bunch of crazy discoveries. But a week before Halloween, I found I carved pumpkin underwater, weighted down with rocks That was cool. On that same dive, I found a buried chest or something like that. It reminded me of the hatch from the show Lost.

There is a toilet located off the wall at lake Jocassee but you have to go deep to see it. There is also a real graveyard underwater at lake Jocassee. The worse/spookiest thing I have seen underwater happened in Okinawa while my buddy and I were undergoing rescue diver training. We were to do a search for a lost diver (red weight belt). Buddy was holding the reel and I was doing the search. I came along a sheet that was griped by the reef. I was going to gather the sheet in order to protect the reef and the ocean. Since I quit swimming, my buddy reeled in thinking that I had found the weight belt. As I unfolded the sheet, with him looking on, we saw that it contained three kittens. It had such an impact that I can still see there cute blue eyes even today after 17 years later.

Spookiest (and most sobering) was finding gas masks with full skeletal remains right next to them all around the spaces of the engine room of the WWII Aikoku Maru troop transport ship in Truk Lagoon.

The ship's engine crew were trying to get underway and/or manage damage control through the smoke & fire of the raid when an attacking US Navy Avenger Torpedo Bomber set off a massive munitions explosion, and blew the ship up in half, instantly killing from 400 to 600 soldiers & naval/merchant mariners.

There's also an eerie weird white layer "chemocline" that's probably fuel oil and other nasty dissolved chemicals, but it looks like a fog enshrouding everything down there at almost 60m deep inside the engine room. Most Chuukese Dive Guides won't go there because of the depth, and the perceived haunted bad mojo superstition of where so many men violently died.

Last edited:
How about the grossest? I’ll pick up trash while diving and found something I couldn’t recognize at Mermet Springs. I reached for it, and just as I was about to grab it.....realized it was a condom catheter. I left that trash where it lie.

717167DA-BE08-4286-9398-79261AE18E6C.jpeg
it contained three kittens. It had such an impact that I can still see there cute blue eyes even today after 17 years later.
So sad,

I know a diver who was diving near Seattle once when he found a mask and snorkel in the sand. He pulled on it but it was stuck so he said he would get in on the way back in. A few yards away he saw a drysuit with vertebrae sticking out of the neck seal. It turned out to be the body of diver who disappeared a year before while diving with his brother. The family was happy to finally have closure.

Hi Guys,

I was having a conversation about scuba diving while sitting in the hot tub last night, and the question came up, "what's the weirdest thing you've found while diving?"

So I wanted to extend the question to everyone on the forum and start a fun thread. What is the weirdest/eeriest/spookiest thing you've found or seen while diving?

I only got back into diving this past summer and am still pretty new so I don't have a bunch of crazy discoveries. But a week before Halloween, I found I carved pumpkin underwater, weighted down with rocks That was cool. On that same dive, I found a buried chest or something like that. It reminded me of the hatch from the show Lost.

While doing my 3rd dive for certification, my instructor and I came across a car jack. Needless to say, I don;t think he was too happy finding it.

Nasty deer carcass while diving in the black-water Edisto River near Charleston, SC at the old Walterboro Bridge.

Blackwater (near 0 viz river) diving, closed my gloveless hand on a rotten (yet puggy) something. Instinctively pulled away in revolution and was unable to locate it again. Still hoping it wasn't the remains of a missing friend from a boating mishap earlier in that summer. Perhaps dead eel? Texture haunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom