Weirdest Thing You Ever Took Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Several years ago, I created an underwater haunted house by turning a shipwreck into a Saw-like experience for divers to test their individual and team skills. I replaced cave diving line arrows with martial arts Chinese stars during no-mask touch contact swims, handcuffed a diver to the wreck (handcuffs would breakaway in an emergency) with a hidden key in a Jack-O-Lantern, and had a 15 foot tall Grim Reaper rigged to fly up the ascent line and stop at 15 feet to scare divers on their safety stop.

I once brought lift bags into a cave so that my cave diving instructor trainer candidate with 2500+ cave dives could show me where he would place instructor and students for various drills.

I brought small plastic army guys and rubber bands into an underwater habitat so we could shoot rubber bands at them and play war if totally bored living underwater.

Most recently, I placed a single band from a longer gun on my shorter speargun and placed a big rubber ball over the tip to practice shooting targets now that I lost my right eye to DCS.

You can view that here:

This made me wonder what weird things others have taken below the surface. What is the weirdest thing you ever brought underwater?

A friend was doing some testing for a new device he was building. He attached a 12’ piece of surgical tubing to an inflator hose on a pony and asked me to bring it down on a dive. At 80’, he took it from me and proceeded to inflate the surgical hose until it burst. The explosion was amazing. Got my attention and a few others too.

A snorkel:oops::D!!!

During my 30m AOW test deep dive, the instructor took a raw egg. Cracked it at 30m and it stayed totally in tact. We could kick it around like a soccer ball. Was interesting for about 3 mins... :)
It would have to be a pretty fresh egg, an old one would have too much of an air pocket and would implode, I think. Now you've got me curious.

Merry had a concrete garden statue of a girl watering flowers that she didn't want. I decided to create a small artificial reef at Marineland, my favorite beach dive. I had to use a liftbag to carry the statue 1/4 mile on the surface to its final resting place. It was like dragging an anchor at the surface.

Once it was in place, my dive buddy Jeff had an idea. (He always had a lot of ideas) He worked for a company that published Bibles. A client gave him a Jesus statue. He didn't know what to do with it, so it sat next to his desk for a year or so. He decided it would look better underwater, so he painted it gold. We then inserted a sand screw into the hollow statue and filled it with cement. Once it was dry, we screwed it into the sand near the previous statue.

The Jesus statue was made of plaster. Eventually, it dissolved, leaving a cement blob with a sand screw inside. Both statues eventually became home to a myriad of colorful marine life.

200975_1950675495942_3770155_o.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom