Weirdest Thing You Ever Took Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rubber chicken.

The quarry which I used to patronize a lot has several wrecked cars down deep, and one of them is a Ford Falcon station wagon. Some wag tied a five-inch-long rubber chicken to it in years past, but the chicken got lost/buried in silt, so I decided to replace it with a bigger one that wouldn't get lost.

Accordingly, I went online and ordered a good-sized rubber chicken, about fourteen inches long. She was a handsome beastie.

I then took my rubber chicken to the quarry and, on a surface interval, commenced to rigging the chicken for her final dive. There were no good tie-off points, so I decided to run cave line through the manufacturing hole in the chicken's belly, run the line up through the chicken's mouth, tie the line into a loop, and then cut off enough line to tie the entire assembly onto the Falcon's buoy line.

Stuffing a whole bunch of cave line up into the manufacturing hole was pretty easy...but getting the loose end to drop through the chicken's mouth? Not so much. Cave line is lightweight and floppy, and that chicken had a narrow throat.

I fished around with a screwdriver for about ten minutes, getting nowhere, before I decided to ask the dive shack staff if they had any long, pointy tools that I could use. They didn't, but the cute teenage girl working the desk said, "I have small girl fingers. Let me try," and sure enough, she stuck her finger down the chicken's throat, poked around for a bit, and came up with the string.

So anyway, that's how I got a teenage girl to choke my chicken.
Are you drunk mate or already stupid

During my commercial diving days, we didn't so much take these things underwater, but they were sent to us in our tool bag by the tenders. Some items included

Condoms full of sand, or I hoped it was sand
Live blue crabs
Banded water snakes, alive
Dead fish
My wallet
Rusted inoperable tools
2 left gloves, or 2 right gloves
Roadkill skunk

A good time was had by all

Not too weird, but over the years I have taken some (fairly encrusted at times) "stubby" beer bottles from the '70s/'80s. Amazing the number of "hoseheads" throwing them in the sea back then. You have to be old and from Canada to know what I mean.

My brand new phone somehow joined me diving on Ogden Point, BC this September. Always a complex chore packing the rig out to the lighthouse, it somehow ended up in my drysuit undergarment pocket. Suit didn’t leak (much), it seems unaffected by the pressure as well. Was sure happy to see it unlock though! It’s rated for an impressive 20 feet for 30 minutes, but certainly not actual diving.

My brand new phone somehow joined me diving on Ogden Point, BC this September. Always a complex chore packing the rig out to the lighthouse, it somehow ended up in my drysuit undergarment pocket. Suit didn’t leak (much), it seems unaffected by the pressure as well. Was sure happy to see it unlock though! It’s rated for an impressive 20 feet for 30 minutes, but certainly not actual diving.
I did the same thing... except I was diving wet.

Phone was in a bathingsuit pocket, I threw on my wetsuit very quickly over the bathingsuit because we were getting swarmed by mosquitos in the dark. I didn't realize it happened until well after the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom