Weights for the Avanti-tre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
Freediving, I've used long fins for over twenty years. However, recent tests published by Scubalab have aroused an interest in two relatively new types of swim fin, the Oceanic Caribe and the Mares Avanti-tre. My informal testing has convinced me of the worth of these two full foot models. They are energy efficient and more suited to someone of "mature" years, like me, (G). I can really scoot along and dive deep with either of these models, and the maneuverability has been a big help while spearfishing in tight quarters. My one reservation is that these fins are extremely light weight. I've always used weighted fins, Sporasub mainly. The Oceanic is not adaptable to weights but, due to their design, I felt it worthwhile to experiment with the Mares Avanti-tre. Below is the result. I haven't tested the weighted version yet but plan to do so within the week.

Basically, this is a modified Mercury weight kit manufactured by Sporasub. I mounted them with plastic backing plates normally used to hold the replaceable blades on their long fins. The plates were changed a bit by drilling for use of #10 machine screws and nuts. The aft end of the weight is controlled with a small length of seizing wire threaded through two small holes in the foot pocket and secured to the weight bracket.

If the idea shows merit, or not, I'll report back here shortly.

I'm adding some missing pics, or trying to:

BTW, the weights must be SECURED in the plastic brackets with sheet metal screws. This is the modification I referred to in the intro. The slide-in friction fit designed by the mfgr is not sufficient to hold the lead weights and the small screws must be added on either side of the bracket.

Some words of advice. The fin compound is very soft and slippery. Use a small "pilot" drill to locate any holes before using the big drill.
Pesky

Back
Top Bottom