Weights for BP&W in saltwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fotta

Reaction score
I hope someone can provide some advice. I am heading to Mexico with my new Halcyon which so far I have used only in freshwater. I'd like to know how much weight I should expect to need in saltwater.

I'm about 170 lbs, 5'10", and slightly negative in freshwater, using a 27# pioneer, SS Halcyon plate, AL80, 3 mil shorty, no weight belt.

Can someone provide a guess as to how much weight to start with when I get down to the warm, salty water?

Check out http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8578. In the thread, Rick posted a great tip for calculating the additional weight needed for salt water versus fresh. Simply take the total weight of yourself and your gear configured for fresh water (including weights) and add 2.5 pounds for every 100 pounds, or simply multiply the total weight by 0.025 to find the amount of weight you need to add.

Mike

I would add 6 pounds using 3 - 2 lbs weights, which should be too heavy. Get the tank down to 600 psi, get at 15' and start removing weight slowly until you feel light, but can still hold your depth. I would then add one pound to what you have remaining and do some dives to see how it works.

Phil

I use the same setup as you. I'm 6 feet, 210. I don't really need any additional weight at all in seawater, but sometimes I put 2 lbs on my waist strap. I don't even use a weight belt. If I have my cannister light, I don't even take the 2lb.

I do have an STA. I'm not sure if your's was included in your rig.

I'm back from my Southbound trip (which was awesome) with my new Halcyon rig. I found that 4 lbs of lead was absolutely perfect for use in the Caribbean in my case.

Back
Top Bottom