Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much weight did you need with the 7 mil (farmer john?)?

I count the weight of the BP + STA + regulator 1st stage as 10 lbs. Initially, when I dove with the 7 mm (one piece, not farmer john style) I needed 16 lbs of lead. I couldn't get that much weight into the tank pockets so I added the pull out weight pockets on the waist strap of the BP. Eventually, I was able to drop 4 lbs of lead and able to get 12 lbs (6+6) all in the tank pockets. When I was able to remain neutrally buoyant throughout the dive I ditched the waist band weight pockets.

What fins do you use? I find with Deep 6 Eddy fins which are slightly buoyant in saltwater, ten lbs on my weight belt, bp/w, ten lbs on trim pockets, I trim out nicely

Good point about the fins. I use the ScubaPro jet fins which are notoriously heavy. I know, there are other fins which are lighter which would enable me to adjust the placement of the lead.

I don’t understand the hatred towards weightbelts.
I have a vested interest in this phenomenon, otherwise I could care less what people do.

I have nothing against weight belts except thanks to the weight of your SS plate I don't need one. And I like it that way.

FWIW, I believe Dano will replace your belt and lead for free if you have to ditch a Mako belt in an emergency.

I think it's a great policy. It affirms the weight belt is completely disposable.

Thanks Cuzza!

Yes we will replace the weight belt and weights. Here's out written policy:

MAKO FREE REPLACEMENT/SAFETY POLICY

To our valued customers:
MAKO Spearguns recognizes that diving (both freediving and SCUBA) are potentially dangerous activities. We have all heard of tragic accidents where a diver is found on the bottom while still wearing a weight belt. We hope and pray that should any of our customers find themselves in a situation where ditching a belt may be necessary, that there is no delay and the belt is dropped immediately.

In many situations a belt is recoverable, however if your MAKO Spearguns belt and lead weights are ditched (and lost) in a diving emergency…. I will replace it free of charge.

The last thing we want is our customers considering the cost of a lost belt in an emergency. The only thing we ask is that the individual shares with us (and our friends and customers) some sort of write-up about how the situation developed and how it was resolved. That way, we can all learn and be reminded to keep safety in the forefront of our minds.

Dive safe,
Dano

I’ve never seen an abandoned weight belt on the bottom. I have found numerous faulty / abandoned weight pockets on the bottom. All my weight is split between a belt and non-ditchable on my rig. I try to have enough on the belt to counter exposure protection buoyancy and the balance in pockets on my cambands or backplate.

I’ve never seen an abandoned weight belt on the bottom. I have found numerous faulty / abandoned weight pockets on the bottom.

I have. Also soft weights and hard weights. No weight pockets though.o_O

I finally had the chance to use my cam band and weight pocket idea this past week. Locks nicely around the bottom of the tank and cam is quick to disconnect during practice ditches. The ability to slide it up and down the tank (within easy reach around) is a nice added bonus for trim adjustment.

I probably should have taken a picture, though.

I use a DUI weight harness. Fits my anatomy better than a weight belt, and I can still ditch weights if needed.

I use a DUI weight harness. Fits my anatomy better than a weight belt, and I can still ditch weights if needed.
I have a DUI system for diving dry. I still use a belt for diving wet. Ditchability is key for most situations. On a boat it is nice to hand off your weights separate from other gear. Even though my BCD is weight integrated, I still use a belt. I am a big guy and need a lot of lead and over stuff weight pouches are not going to make me a better, safer diver. If you don’t *need* a belt, great, if you don’t *want* a belt great, also. You need to be able to make yourself comfortably buoyant on the surface with little to no effort to stay that way. Conditions change, currents pick up, mistakes are made, always have a reliable backup. Ditchable lead is a stupid simple way to ensure buoyancy. IMHO

I’ve never seen an abandoned weight belt on the bottom. I have found numerous faulty / abandoned weight pockets on the bottom. All my weight is split between a belt and non-ditchable on my rig. I try to have enough on the belt to counter exposure protection buoyancy and the balance in pockets on my cambands or backplate.
I have, but most of the belts we find around here were most likely from abalone divers (free divers). Sometimes the skill level and know-how with ab divers was a little questionable especially if they weren’t from around here and weren’t used to it, got bad info on setting themselves up etc. the belts I’ve found were probably lost on accident or dumped on the surface because the diver got overwhelmed and freaked out, maybe was way overweighted. I’ve seen guys with such massive weightbelts freediving that if they let go of their float tube they dropped straight to the bottom, not a safe or good thing at all. Most of the belts I find are huge! At least 35 lbs of weight or more. 7 mm is the thickest suit generally made and even in a brand new suit using that much tells me they were overweighted for ab diving. I have a whole bin full of salvaged weights.
No more ab diving though so probably no new weightbelts to find.

Back
Top Bottom