Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We often hear that weight belts will fall off, slip down, hurt the low back and need to be adjusted at depth if diving with a thick wetsuit.

A few people have mentioned elastic rubber belts which address many of these valid complaints.

Wearing 25 or 35 lbs of lead on any belt may not be comfortable. However, many people find a "freedive type" belt very comfortable for a moderate amount of lead - maybe 16 lbs or so.

If a person has only tried a (non-elastic) nylon belt or a pocket belt using shot weights, they might be very surprised about how different a freedive belt feels. As has been mentioned, the rubber belt stays put, has some automatic depth compensation capacity and it can be worn DIFFERENTLY than a scuba belt.

In my experience wearing a lot of lead on a belt that runs across the small of your back can quickly become tiring and uncomfortable. A freedive belt can (and probably should) be worn considerably lower on the hips. The belt is NOT worn across the low back normally, but is draped across the butt. This position tends to reduce back strain and allows the belt to be worn in a variety of positions and it also avoids constraining natural breathing.

This video, which is obviously directed toward freedivers, shows the typical location of the belt which is much lower than "normal". A nylon belt would just slide off in this position.

Side benefit... I don't need a lot of ballast diving steel tanks and none without neoprene, but I have a habit of wearing the belt all day, low as the video illustrates, and when I finally take the belt off I feel light as a feather and convince myself I don't need to lose that extra ten pounds of non ditchable weight I'm carrying. :thumb:

Is your question really about ditchable weights rather than about weight belts? You seem to equate the two, but I would not. I for one don't agree with or understand the philosophy that espouses no ditchable weights, but I for dang sure am a fan of weight integrated over a weight belt. (No, I don't dive a b/p/w)
The one thing weight integrated bc’s and no ditchable rigs have in common is there is no weightbelt.
I know the original post drifted from one to the other, and yes they are kind of separate issues. However, besides no weightbelts and ditchable vs non-ditchable rigs, all the weight is still on the rig. What about your body? What’s going to hold that down if you become separated from your rig?
Some say it will never happen. I suppose some of it has to do with where you dive. Where is dive there can be a lot of fishing line from people getting snagged and losing fishing gear. Sometimes it gets a hold of your tank valve and it’s impossible to free yourself without taking your rig off and cutting yourself loose. Sometimes there’s a buddy that can help you and sometimes there’s not.

I split my weight between my trim pockets 2kg my rubber belt 4 to 6kg and my integrated pockets 2 to 4kg depending on the day (cold water + very thick wet suit)

I can’t see why I would not want the option of (gradually) ditching weight... I have virtually no experience in diving but that’s more like a logic kind of thing to me : more option = better.

Now I wouldn’t be surprised to be wrong on that and change with more experience but right now I like having options.

I split my weight between my trim pockets 2kg my rubber belt 4 to 6kg and my integrated pockets 2 to 4kg depending on the day (cold water + very thick wet suit)

I can’t see why I would not want the option of (gradually) ditching weight... I have virtually no experience in diving but that’s more like a logic kind of thing to me : more option = better.

Now I wouldn’t be surprised to be wrong on that and change with more experience but right now I like having options.

Control is why. I want it so I don't shoot to the surface like Trident missile. If I dump 4lb from my weight pockets I'm going to start to rise, as my depth decreases the rate at ascent will increase. The less weight a diver needs to drop at depth to be positive the more control the diver will have over their rate of ascent.

Options is my creedo, the more options you have the safer you are, IMO.

Control is why. I want it so I don't shoot to the surface like Trident missile. If I dump 4lb from my weight pockets I'm going to start to rise, as my depth decreases the rate at ascent will also. The less weight a diver needs to drop at depth to be positive the more control the diver will have over their rate of ascent.

Options is my creedo, the more options you have the safer you are, IMO.
I think we’re aligned.. sorry if I wasn’t clear

I just don’t like weight belts, I integrate weight with my freedom plate about 1/2 is releasable.

I think we’re aligned.. sorry if I wasn’t clear

You where clear but you did indicate you didn't know why other than logic. Just thought I'd give my reason.
Not that logic isn't a good enough reason, logic and options will take you a long way safely in this activity

And if you ask me to lift your 80 lbs. weight integrated rig over the gunnel, I'll politely point to the ladder.

PettyUglyAngelwingmussel-size_restricted.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom