Weight for BP vs BCD: Is there a typical % drop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I guess I misunderstood, when you said you can "remove all of your weight from that BC" I thought you meant he could remove the 8 lbs he was presently diving with and not use it anymore- but what you are really saying is that he should continue to use the 8 lbs if he's not overweighted, and shift it somewhere else.

I believe he's saying that the equivalent weight can be removed because it's built into the bp and therefore the weight is simply shifting to above the back due to the bp.

You just subtract the weight of your bp from the ballast that you're currently using, to begin with. For example a steel bp itself might be 6 lbs while an aluminum bp itself might only be about 2 lbs.

Then keep in mind that a bp/w tends to have ss d-rings and hardware like bolt snaps, so you might be able to lose a little more lead elsewhere. Also, a harness and wing have less neoprene, trap a lot less air than a jacket bc and are more efficient for venting, so this will help you be less positively buoyant as well.

Start by removing the amount of weight of your specific bp from your bc/pockets and then do a weighting check at the end of the dive with a nearly empty bc hovering at 10 feet if possible. If you have air in your bc at 10 feet, you are (at least slightly) overweighted and you could try reducing your weight in small increments and try again.

This all depends upon the bouyancy (not lift) of your BCD.

Several years ago when I finally dumped my leaky 20 year old BCD for a fancy new compact travel BCD I had to add 4lbs. My old BCD was neutrally bouyant. My fancy new BCD took more than 3lbs to sink. It is a floater!

Bouyancy is not a spec that is commonly published.

Need to clarify what tanks you are currently diving and plan to dive in the future to answer your question properly. Is it safe to assume you require 8lbs of lead for an AL80? If this is correct, a stainless BP combined with a steel tank will result in you being overweighted. If you own, plan to purchase or ever rent steel tanks then you may want to consider an aluminum backplate. I have both. The stainless Freedom BP is great for aluminum tanks because minimal lead is required. I own steel 120’s and even with the aluminum BP, no lead and a 19cf pony I am a dirt dart.

Need to clarify what tanks you are currently diving and plan to dive in the future to answer your question properly. Is it safe to assume you require 8lbs of lead for an AL80? If this is correct, a stainless BP combined with a steel tank will result in you being overweighted. If you own, plan to purchase or ever rent steel tanks then you may want to consider an aluminum backplate. I have both. The stainless Freedom BP is great for aluminum tanks because minimal lead is required. I own steel 120’s and even with the aluminum BP, no lead and a 19cf pony I am a dirt dart.

I use only AL80s and likely will only ever use that.

Definitely go for the stainless steel then. Good luck!

Let me add that I will have a 19cf pony. I just got it, but haven't dived with it as yet, but it has also prompted me to make this switch.

Currently I'm looking at the NX Ghost, but I'm still open for guidance.

I would say like some others with a ss backplate and the pony you will be fine maybe a 2lb on camstrap this is salt water I'm guess with your location

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom