Weight belt or pockets for BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we teach belts to be put on after the crotch strap to allow them to be removed in an emergency without having to remove the harness. I haven't worn a weight belt in years, so from a technical diving perspective I don't have much personal experience. It all depends on what is comfortable for you as the belt may not be in a good place in relation to the plate.

Personally for your situation I would go ahead and get the LP95's if you can swing the $300 at this point which takes 6lbs off of your weighting requirement, so that's 24 down to 18. The plate itself will be good for a minimum of 6, so that's down to 12. If you grab the plates it takes you to 4, and likely that amount of lead will be countered by positive buoyancy of the jacket anyway, so you should be able to get away with 0. Even without the plates, at 12lbs, I'd be more tempted to grab some Dive Rite weight pockets and slide them on the waist strap than go with a belt.

I love the XS Scuba weight pockets on the belt of my plate. There is even a "quick dump" version with pull tabs....

I've been using the XS Scuba weight belt in your link for several years ... along with the DSS plate with plate weights. My belt is 20 lbs. I wear it under my crotch strap. Those who say you have to remove the harness to release the belt are wrong ... you only have to undo the waist harness and release the crotch strap ... something that takes just a few seconds.

Some other suggestions ...
  • Put some trim pockets on your tank cam bands ... snug them back as close to the wing as you can, one on each side, and you can put 10 lbs back there.
  • Get the DSS plate weights. They're expensive, but well worth it if you dive regularly in cold water since the put the weight exactly where it's most natural ... over your "internal BCD".
  • On the XS Scuba weight belt, my only complaint is that the pockets have big holes in them, and smaller soft weights (1 or 2 #'s) can work their way through the holes and fall out.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a MAKO rubber waist belt and 2 of these pockets
http://www.amazon.com/XS-Scuba-Single-Weight-Pocket/dp/B001P4K0IC/ref=pd_sim_468_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=418jIdm0xhL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1CRYZXT587C0PMQSHETG
I put the belt on 1st and the crotch strap on top of it. Should you need to dump, you dump from the pocket not the belt itself.

Are you attaching these wt pockets to the rubber belt? And if so do they not slide around?

I use the Mako rubber belt with coated lead weights, with a backplate, steel tank, and a couple of XSScuba trim pockets on the top tank band. One thing I'd advise against is putting weights on the waist band of the BP harness.

Are you attaching these wt pockets to the rubber belt? And if so do they not slide around?

I use the Mako rubber belt with coated lead weights, with a backplate, steel tank, and a couple of XSScuba trim pockets on the top tank band. One thing I'd advise against is putting weights on the waist band of the BP harness.
The pockets do not slide as they are really tight. I had to use pliers to get them on. Jim Lapenta here on SB also sells some custome made keepers for the MAKO belt. I think they are $1 each. If you are worried about the pocket sliping.

The MAKO belt is aweome. way better than a canvas one. they will compress at depth with your exposure suit so they don't slide.

and the reason is?
Just makes the rig that much harder to lift, and also trying to buckle the waist belt is more difficult with the weights directly on the belt.

I like a rubber belt with hard weights. They don't shift along the belt and the belt compensates for depth. I honestly don't pay any attention to whether or not I put it on under or over my crotch strap. In the event of an emergency my buddies all know it's okay to cut the damn thing off. I usually only wear 2-4 pounds on the belt anyway. My other couple pounds are on cam bands.

I use a Torus 26 wing, frequently off the beach, with 6-8 lbs of weight on a belt. The belt goes under the crotch strap. If it were to slide off, the crotch strap would stop it-- a good thing. No problem ditching. Just unclasp, hold at arms length and drop, per OW I training.

Just makes the rig that much harder to lift, and also trying to buckle the waist belt is more difficult with the weights directly on the belt.

I like a rubber belt with hard weights. They don't shift along the belt and the belt compensates for depth.

having been doing this for the last 4+ years, I can't at all agree with your statements....

Back
Top Bottom