Weight belt or pockets for BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two weight belts that I regularly use, one for the CCR and one for single cylinder diving. It's much easier just to pick up the appropriate belt, than mess about sorting out differing amounts of weight.

Someone has already mentioned the benefits of being able to remove some of the weight and becoming positive when getting back into a small boat.

Gareth

As Bob says, it can be a good idea to distribute your weights....I reflect on how many times in an emergency had to remove my gear......in a few thousand dives.....right about....not once. Not to say it can't happen, the kelp in PNW can reach out and grab you.

I had to once ... not because of kelp, but because of an entanglement involving some abandoned fishing gear. I did, once out in the Straits, get pretty well caught up in bull kelp, but was able to (with the assistance of my dive buddy) get free without having to remove my rig ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A lot of people don't "have a waist". An inelastic belt (a conventional scuba belt) must be tightened up VERY tightly to not fall off their ass AND it often requires re-tightening at depth if they are wearing a thick wetsuit that will become compressed. This does absolutely nothing good with respect to comfortable and efficient breathing.

A thick wetsuit already provides enough restriction of the chest and abdomen to make breathing less comfortable - why add a tight belt across your belly too?

If given the choice of an uncomfortable nylon belt that falls off OR integrated weights... it is easy to see why so many new divers will select a weight integrated solution. They most often are never given a third choice...

A rubber belt which will stretch and cling to your body and will not slide down or spin around. It also, as mentioned .. will automatically compensate for suit compression at depth.

The other alternative is a weight & trim system, such as the one that DUI makes (several other manufacturers offer similar systems). It's basically a harness with shoulder straps holding the belt in place. The nice thing about these systems is the ability to raise and lower the position of the weight pockets by adjusting the length of the shoulder straps. It's an especially nice option for folks who want the benefits of a weight belt without the limitation of needing hips to hold it in place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's the return policy on your belt?

Sorry, it is too bulky. I have to second Dumpster's suggestion of hard weights and a rubber belt.

the drop pokects on a belt allow you to drop weights without having to drop the belt.
rubber belts are the best and they buckle is normally spring loaded for a quick release.

Agree that the shoulder straps are way too tight

OK, so what do you think about the plate height in the rear? I don't think it would be right to tighten the shoulder straps any more.

I'm going to try to move the weights on the belt so I can tighten it more. It was as tight as it would go and still sagging a little.

The belt definitely doesn't look right. Mine sits below my waist harness (the harness literally sits on top of the belt), but I'm most certainly built differently than you are, and that may be the difference.

Agree with the others ... those shoulder straps look too tight. You're going to need some ability to get into and out of the rig. Those adjustments really need to be made while wearing your exposure suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I moved to the DUI weight harness when I started diving dry, I find it much better than a weight belt. When I do dive vacations in warm water I can get away with a few pockets on the waist strap of my back plate. On my single tank rig I have weight pouches on the upper set of tank straps.

Back
Top Bottom