Weekend Dive Reports - March 7th, 8th and 9th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool pictures! :)

My diving for this weekend...0 for 2 for my second weekend in Northwest Florida. I did go to the beach both days though and out with coworkers for my and another person's birthday, more his since I'm the FNG. I also went to a place called Gulf Islands National Seashore (specifically Naval Live Oaks). I've been limited to shooting pictures above water only, but I've definitely gotten some nice shots (yesterday had some beautiful sunsets). When I get internet access that is reliable and I'm allowed to upload my photos to, then I'll post photos on Flickr....I'm at the base library right now, so plugging in a camera to download 4-8GB of photos is a no-no. :)

Most of the boats in the area (haven't checked Pensacola yet) out here don't start running until mid-March (there are a couple). It has been "chilly" (I think it's actually nice after living in Monterey). Maybe I just need to go grab some people at gun point to go diving with me. I could run up in my ninja wetsuit. On second thought, I'd probably pass out from being overheated in that 9/7/6. People always think I'm a bit wacky when I say that I dive with that much wetsuit. :) Then there are the others who say I didn't know they made wetsuits that thick. :) I'll post more later when I can.

Brad

Don't know about the other ports of call, but the Pensacola boats are running. We are looking for a break in the weather, like everyone else, but we are definitely running. Check us out and give us a call.

Dr Dive

My own little dive report:

Saturday was rescue work at Del Monte. Visibility was in the 15' range, the swell was nonexistent in the morning, rising to about 2' by the time we were done around 5pm. Didn't see much underwater save for a decorator crab or two. We did find this one tiny crab, whose shell was maybe 1.5" wide, but had primary claws that were twice as wide as its body. Oh, and a few sea stars that took a liking to our meter tapes.

Sunday was breakwater where I ran into Sarah and Mark on their way in and out from their trip to the Metridiums. We were doing search and salvage out past the eastern kelp bed. Visibility was around 10', which actually made the salvage part more fun because we couldn't cheat and see where the instructor dropped the items. Almost got run over by an otter at the surface, and saw some lingcod and rockfish.

My own little dive report:

Saturday was rescue work at Del Monte. Visibility was in the 15' range, the swell was nonexistent in the morning, rising to about 2' by the time we were done around 5pm. Didn't see much underwater save for a decorator crab or two. We did find this one tiny crab, whose shell was maybe 1.5" wide, but had primary claws that were twice as wide as its body. Oh, and a few sea stars that took a liking to our meter tapes.

Sunday was breakwater where I ran into Sarah and Mark on their way in and out from their trip to the Metridiums. We were doing search and salvage out past the eastern kelp bed. Visibility was around 10', which actually made the salvage part more fun because we couldn't cheat and see where the instructor dropped the items. Almost got run over by an otter at the surface, and saw some lingcod and rockfish.

Hey Albert,

Sarah mentioned she ran into you last weekend. I'm looking forward to diving with you again. It's been a while since the cleanup dives at Lover's 3. That's when I met you and Brad for the first time. :D

Hi Albert. It was great to see you out there - hope your class went well.

My dive blog is almost done and can be found here: Sarah Goes Scuba Diving. I will post some photos tomorrow- just getting tired now.

After our dives, we headed over to El Torito where we got a great table overlooking the Bay. We watched some divers enter and swim out of the cove at MacAbee and descend. They showed up about 30 minutes later north past our table. They had a heck of a surface swim back, especially since the water was moving against them. I felt badly for them since, based on their facial expressions, they had not intended to get that far north from the site. (ouch).

.....- just getting tired now.

:shocked: This will teach me for taking a nap..... :shocked: Here are some of the photos that didn't make it into the blog. All of the decent (and somewhat decent) photos can be seen here: ScubaBoard Gallery - Breakwater Cove - March 9th, 2008 - Powered by PhotoPost

Sea Lemon with a Piddock, I believe
Sea_Lemon_Peltodoris_nobilis_with_a_Piddock_crop.jpg

San Diego Dori with some brittle stars
San_Diego_Dori_Diaulula_sandiegensis_.jpg

Moss Crab (?)
Moss_Crab_Loxorhynchus_crispatus_.jpg

Megasurcula stearnsiana?
Megasurcula_stearnsiana_1_.jpg

Unknown - any ideas?
IMG_7190.jpg

They showed up about 30 minutes later north past our table. They had a heck of a surface swim back, especially since the water was moving against them. I felt badly for them since, based on their facial expressions, they had not intended to get that far north from the site. (ouch).
And that's why I'm working to get my navigation respectable. Surface swims are such a pain after a nice relaxing dive. Unfortunately, I'm currently at the I-can-get-us-in-the-general-area skill level.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom