Webbed rubber Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never spew intentionally, somtimes it just happens.

Look, I'm not saying that this glove will replace any exsiting equipment. It will simply be complimentary to your equipment. Is'nt that what equipment is all about? to make us more adapted to an aquatic environment? Why leave your hands out of the loop?
I think it's a silly argument to make that you automatically stop using the most perfectly crafted tools ever to be created by nature upon entering the water.

Not using your hands for surge control, directional changes or reverse motion would be the equivalent of a fish not using it's pectoral fins. Makes no sense. Someone please give me a good argument here.

I appologize to anyone having problems with my site. I hired what I thought was a reputable company and well... you see what I got! Please bear with me while I try and straighten everything out.

I Would still like to give away a few more pair of Darkfin gloves to any open minded person that is at least curious about the viablilty of this product. How many other companies have came foward in this way to prove their products value.

All you have to do is send me a private message and I will mail you a pair. I have already mailed gloves to several of you and want to thank you for stepping up and challenging the status quo.

I am going to the Florida coast at the end of the month in search of divers I can aggrivate into trying my gloves and maybe getting a few photos for my web site. Anyone who is going to be in the area that would like to try these gloves (or punch me in the nose) give me a shout out and I'll look you up.

Roy, I emailed you. Thanks for the opportunity to help out. I rec dive, spear fish and treasure hunt, although not at the same time.

Hi Roy, I sent you a message through the website and sent you an email. Not sure what kind of site problems you are having.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I do not know Mr. McKinney nor am I affiliated with Black Lagoon Products in any way. I simply accepted the offer of a free pair of Darkfin Gloves in return for writing a review. So, here is my honest critique of the product.

I requested and received the Medlg size. As luck would have it, they arrived on 08/13/09, the evening before I was scheduled to take part in a set of working dives. I will not reference the agency or the project I was working with as this was not a sanctioned product test.

The gloves them self are made from a black rubber material not neoprene so thermal value would be something to consider. The webbing is welded to the back of the fingers not in between them. Overall they seem to be well made and quite durable. By using the sizing chart from the web site, I was able to pick the correct size. They fit perfectly and were quite comfortable.

We had 8 divers, 2 teams of 2 each. Each team was to do 2 dives for a total of 8. I suggested that my team take the first dive as I had something new to try out. When I showed them the Darkfin Gloves I got all kinds of comments and laughter, things like Spiderman, frog fingers and of course creature from the black lagoon. One person even dubbed them Dorkfin gloves. (Sorry Mr. McKinney but there is a certain crowd here on SB that will love that.) Despite all of the ribbing, everyone wanted to try them. Unfortunately there were two that the gloves would not fit. They were a little loose on some but close enough to try them. With the approval of the DM and SO we were set.

All of the dive profiles were the same, 70 feet for 30 min bottom time, shoot an SMB for a drifting assent with a 1 min half stop and a 3 min safety stop. The project we are working on requires the use of hand tools such as screwdrivers, small wrenches and dive knife. I was able to maneuver and use each of these easily. Due to the web between the thumb and forefinger, I had to grip the tools slightly differently but that was no big deal. We finished our task with a few minutes to spare so I was able to play with the gloves. When I placed my arms by my sides spread my fingers and “fined” with just my hands I was able to move forward faster than I thought I would be able to. When I used my legs to fin at a steady pace and added the motion of my hands the acceleration was noticeable. Direction changes could be made simply by spreading your fingers and making a sweeping motion. Overall I was surprised by amount of traction the gloves generated. I use a finger reel for my SMB. Shooting it was no problem, however winding it was a bit awkward. Usually I insert my right thumb into the hole secure the reel with my fingers around it with the string feeding between my fore and index finger and wind with my left hand. The webbing obviously prevented this and I had to kind of make due. Also I dive with a Sealife Mini Camera on a retractor in one of my BC pockets. The gloves did not dampen my ability to retrieve, use and stow it.

The other five people who tried the gloves reported a similar experience. Some said that using the hand tools was more difficult with the gloves on. I found it not to be difficult just a little different.

Our conclusion is that for normal recreational diving the gloves did exactly what Mr. McKinney claims. Most of us were actually surprised at the amount of influence they had on speed and direction. On dives that require the use of tools or other demands for gripping, they may not be the best choice. However a modification or removal of the webbing between the thumb and forefinger would make this easier.

I personally will not modify them. I will continue to use my normal gloves on working dives and use the Darkfins for recreational diving. My wife only dives recreationally and now wants a pair. For her birthday coming up they will make a nice present from our daughter.

Thank you Mr. McKinney for the chance to try your Darkfin Gloves.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That helps answer a lot of questions for me. Naturally when I do my own testing I'm a little bias but I can't tell you what it means to hear a good review from someone else. I appreciate you being open minded and taking the time to try something new even when being hacked on by your dive buddies.

I still say you guys should get all dressed up in your dive gear, complete with mask and all your accessories and stand in front of a mirror and tell me how much more DORKY looking could a pair of rubber gloves make you? LOL

Roy McKinney

DORKfin gloves

Wow, what can you say after the review above by mwm.

I also asked to participate in this, I have no affiliation with Roy other than what is posted here. The only thing he asked return was an honest report here on Scubaboard. I agreed and was only to happy to try something out and write a report. Kinda felt like "YES" finally some free gear to try out, I mean how many of us have seen that throughout our lives growing up, anyway, sorry I digressed a little there. I printed out the hand and thought what size I should be and placed my order. I received my gloves quickly. I personally liked the packaging as I see a lot of wasteful packaging just to make a product stand out, blah, blah, blah. They came in a reusable UV protected bag, nothing else other than 1/2 sheet double sided information, all good and clear, and to the point. I have so far only tried them in the pool with my 10 year old daughter, Kim. I can see a huge benefit in strength training, and swimming in general. I was able to put my snorkel on the mask with those little plastic clips, while wearing the gloves no trouble what so ever. I have not tried spearing or scuba yet, but hopefully soon. I can see the need for some extra large ones to wear over thermal gloves for when things get cold. Sorry, I know I live in Florida and cold for us is probably warm for you. I would wear gloves for diving anyway and these are a no brainer for me. Mine were sent as a size 4, they are little big, but no in any way a problem. I did have to remember to take advantage of them while swimming in the pool. I am so used to hands closed to cup the water and this is just the opposite, open big and wide and you can feel the extra push. I will keep posting as time goes on until they eventually fall apart or everyone loses interest in my posts. So far I would say they would be welcomed addition for any swimmer or snorklers and I assume they will prove just a useful in scuba and spearing, but I will reserve judgement on those until I have the experience. They are even made in the USA and not friggin China. You get extra points for that. Kim tried them on and swam around even though they were not even close to her size, of course she liked them, and the shark logo too.

Thanks cristo651,

I'm glad you like your Darkfins.
Are you a betting man? I'll bet you are.

Heres the deal, use your gloves for anything and everthing you want. I dont care if you build sand castles or dig for clams with them. Drag them across rocks, barnicles or whatever you can find. If you tear them up I'll send you another pair free! The only thing that scares the hell out of Darkfins is a pair of scissors a knife and intense sunlight (uv rays) for a long period. Like tossing them in the dash of your car. That's not good! So avoid those things a little.

When you finally destroy them come back here and let us know what it took.

DEAL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom