Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caruso

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked up a tip this past week while diving in Florida. I noticed a diver walking around on the boat with his mask on backwards, and the lightbulb came on. I've been diving for almost 40 years and never even thought of it, it's so simple and solves an annoying issue.

One of the ways to prevent a mask from fogging is not to put it on your forehead after treating the lenses prior to a dive because your sweat will get up inside the lens and exacerbate the problem. Also if you're in the water and conditions are calm and you're waiting for the boat for example, you just might want to risk removing the mask from over your eyes so you can see what's going on around you or enjoy the view of the ocean or the coastline. Also there are some who still believe that a diver who is calmly floating on the surface of the water and isn't acting strangely may be in serious distress if they are wearing their mask on the forehead. Many divers don't like to drop the mask around their neck.

The solution- simply turn the mask around so it's on the back of your head. It's still very secure, and solves those problems.

No, you just look like a wannabe and most of us think you are a wanker. Just carry it around or wear it properly, especially in the water at the end of a dive. IT WILL NOT FOG UP. Also do not put on your forehead while getting into the water or at the end of a dive, great way to lose it. A mask is there to keep water out of your eyes, leave it on till you are out of the water, it does not hurt you and it works at doing what it is good at, keeping your eyes clear of water.

In the same way, keep your reg in your mouth till you are out of the water, either onto the boat or on the shore.

No, you just look like a wannabe and most of us think you are a wanker.

I don't understand. Why would I, or anyone else for that matter, change their style because of what anyone -especially a perfect stranger- might think?

Just carry it around or wear it properly,

Who wants to tie up one of their hands carrying a mask around? I sure don't. I also don't like to sit on the boat with my mask on my face for any longer than necessary. It reduces visibility, it's not all that comfortable to wear a mask on the boat, and it's unnecessary because you can simply wear it backwards.

Also do not put on your forehead while getting into the water

Yes, that'sa good tip, and I didn't post anything to the contrary.

A mask is there to keep water out of your eyes, leave it on till you are out of the water

There are times when it's going to be ok to not wear a mask on your face when you're in the water. I can think of a couple off the top of my head- standing in shallow water waiting to enter on a shore dive, floating in flat seas or an inland lake or quarry where there is almost zero chance of some sort of rogue wave, or while training in a pool, just to name a few.

I don’t like wearing the mask on my forehead backwards - I like to minimize me getting knocked over and dropping/breaking it accidentally. I feel it’s more secure on the neck.

It would take a LOT for a mask worn backwards to be knocked off a diver's head. Try it.

Caruso, why ask if you will not accept experience of other divers, especially one with over 4,000 dives in all sorts of conditions, locations and has already found out the pitfalls of what you propose?

I can tell you that most experienced divers will look down on you for wearing your mask anywhere but where it is supposed to be, that is, on your face. If you continued to do this diving off my boat, you would be looking for someone else to take you out.

If you continued to do this diving off my boat, you would be looking for someone else to take you out.

Ah the old "Do it my way or you won't dive off my boat". No different from another SB poster/boat captain who decided that no pony bottles are allowed on HIS boat because some diver apparently used it wrong or whatever. No worries you aren't the only boat out there.

Caruso, why ask if you will not accept experience of other divers.

I wasn't asking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom