Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd be surprised that when people are completely out of their comfort zone, or task loaded or panicked, the obvious and most rational action can go out of their head.

Case in point: the other week I had my gear on and then leant over to was my mask in choppy seas and not surprisingly got tossed overboard. Mask in hand no fins. When I bobbed to the surface I orally inflated - then put my reg in and breathed. WTF! I have no idea why I chose to oral inflate - its not a thing I do unless teaching skills. But there you go I did it for no rational reason

Then I got my fins and mask on pronto like, got hold of my scooter and descended toot sweet to get away from the sound of loud laughter on the boat.

Sometimes I amaze myself at my own muppetary

Witnessing such events is part of the joy / drama of scuba diving, depending on the outcome.

IIRC the verdict was that MOF on its own may be OK, but MOF while wearing a poodle jacket, split fins, and a single Suunto computer is a clear desperate cry for immediate intervention.
Uh oh. If a poodle jacket means jacket BCD and you can substitute Mares Puck for Suunto, I need immediate intervention while holding my splits doing MOF.

You'd be surprised that when people are completely out of their comfort zone, or task loaded or panicked, the obvious and most rational action can go out of their head.

Case in point: the other week I had my gear on and then leant over to was my mask in choppy seas and not surprisingly got tossed overboard. Mask in hand no fins. When I bobbed to the surface I orally inflated - then put my reg in and breathed. WTF! I have no idea why I chose to oral inflate - its not a thing I do unless teaching skills. But there you go I did it for no rational reason

Then I got my fins and mask on pronto like, got hold of my scooter and descended toot sweet to get away from the sound of loud laughter on the boat.

Sometimes I amaze myself at my own muppetary

I'm sure I have a dozen+ stories just like this ^ , but my ego and selective memory must have purged them ! :rofl3::dork2:
But I'll (probably) post if any good ones float back to the surface!

So what happens when you have a mask on your arm?

:popcorn:
My one experience with a a mask on my arm was when I was helping some swamped canoeist. I put my mask on my arm while I helped them. It was long gone by the time I got them to shore.

Normally, I just pull my mask down on my neck, but this was one of the old fashioned porthole style and was in the way.

Back
Top Bottom