We dont need no stinkin badges!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the "no badges" thing stems from this weird, anti-accomplishment, no one is "better" than anyone else mentality that seems to have gripped this nation in the last few decades.

Now I put "better" in quotes for a reason, so show that I am not saying one has more human worth than another, but dammit, people EARNED things in their life, and yet because we all seem to hold the "everyday common man" as the pinnacle of accomplishment instead of the doctors, scientists, educators, etc. we seem to have taken that across our society as a negative attitude towards anyone that shows, in any way, their accomplishments.

Sad really....

Hell man, sew them on your dive bag, or a personal bag, I see no issue with it.

I am not anti-social except when I am diving, I love to meditate and then the silence underwater is heaven. Actually it may serve the same purpose for a different reason. If they thought I was bragging and did not talk to me, then I would have succeeded. I generally have my gear and my wifes to set up (she can do it, but she has earned the privilege.)

I do not see diving as having rank like the military, there are plenty of open water divers with tons more experience and experiences than me. I suppose it would be a different thread to discuss why we think that you earn something by getting more training, I look at it like a shortcut I want to dive in wrecks now and do not want to learn over the course of 100 dives so I take a class. I want to do decompression diving so I take a class, I could just read the Navy manual, and SB and then go do some practice dives ,about a 100 gradually increasing depth and time.

Not sure why I started this, I will be an instructor in April and at that time I will be getting as many specialties as possible so that I can teach them , Padi has a badge for each one, I want the students to know what I can teach and maybe they will ask about one they did not think about. but on vacation I can not think of any reason to display my badges other than to have some quiet on the boat. (for whatever reason).

Impress others with your diving skills and knowledge, not the badges you wear

This

Certs don't mean much really

I think the "no badges" thing stems from this weird, anti-accomplishment, no one is "better" than anyone else mentality that seems to have gripped this nation in the last few decades.

When my son (aged 8) did his PADI seal team, he had it sewn proudly onto his rashie, and it give him immense pleasure.

Looking at his simple joy in seeing a chevron that reflected his achievement, I thought to myself: "Wow, it is too bad we all have to turn into ***holes about it."

AquaExplorer:

That's not how I see it. I just think it's silly to display an "earned" patch for something that is avoiding any true accomplishment.

When my son (aged 8) did his PADI seal team, he had it sewn proudly onto his rashie, and it give him immense pleasure.

Looking at his simple joy in seeing a chevron that reflected his achievement, I thought to myself: "Wow, it is too bad we all have to turn into ***holes about it."
that reminds me when i was about 8 and there were some of us that were picked to be crossing guards, we got to wear the reflective vest thing, now that was impressive. and I do like my dress blues, (can only wear them in the bedroom now, but it still works).

That's not how I see it. I just think it's silly to display an "earned" patch for something that is avoiding any true accomplishment.

Are you saying an instructors patch is not an accomplishment? or is avoiding something? or say 10 specialties is not earned? what are you saying here? or are you saying that you do not earn anything in a course? are you saying that courses are not accomplishments? cause for an instructor I would probably not take your courses in that case.

I'm saying the patches I've seen displayed are for classes that I consider substandard.

Back
Top Bottom