We dont need no stinkin badges!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Display them, wear them, show them off! You earned them and you are proud of your accomplishments.

The people who sneer at any accomplishment are the ones who haven't done it themselves.

Semper Fi.

Mike, I don't believe anyone has sneered at anyone or anything. On the other hand, what one person regards as a great accomplishment can be seen as a lack of accomplishment by another. Everything is relative. If you display a patch showing what you think is as great accomplishment, others may, even if they are unlikely to give it voice, have a lower opinion of you as a result. I love it when people display their patches, it gives me an idea of who is more likely to be in need rescue today.

Sew them on your dive bag, or use a dive bag that looks like a dive bag, and check through airline luggage?

Probably won't be an issue for long.

If I had gotten a badge for any of the classes I had done I'd probably just bin them. Or rather, they would have gone on the big pile of bits and pieces on my desk and I would have forgotten about them :)

But if you like badges stick them on whatever you like. I think it is dorky but who cares what my opinion is if it makes you happy :)

Ya, I hear yall. I am not about impressing anyone, I really do not care what they think, and actually I really do not much care to talk about anything on a dive boat.

I'm having trouble placing this comment. One ordinarily displays things for a reason, and especially with things like achievement badges it's GOT to have something to do with advertising your qualifications.... which automatically means you want other people to notice...

Can you help me out here? If you don't care what people think then what's your motivation?

Incidentally, even if you DO care what people think or you want recognition for your achievments or whatever, I think that's fine. No judgement here. Just do what makes you happy.

R..

I'd probably leave them in the desk drawer next to my Phi Beta Kappa key.:wink:

If you really want to display a dive certification patch, my vote would be to sew a SINGLE patch onto either your regulator or boat bags, or perhaps a backpack. If you went that route, I'd sew on something random like "Underwater Naturalist, or Diver Propulsion Vehicle Diver". I'm still a new diver (MSD), but the lesson that's plainly clear is that there's always a more experienced diver around, so why not have a little fun opposed to being a braggart advertising every accomplishment.

I've gotta say the thing I always preferred about the Corps was the lack of unit patches, or name tapes for that fact. I dreaded the day I had to sew name tapes on my cammies.

I thought every Marine had a tattoo, either the EGA, bulldog or siliy-stamp. I've got the silly-stamp (USMC) on my upper arm. It always seems to start conversations on the dive boat as there are heaps of vets who dive.

I've gotta say the thing I always preferred about the Corps was the lack of unit patches, or name tapes for that fact. I dreaded the day I had to sew name tapes on my cammies.

I thought every Marine had a tattoo, either the EGA, bulldog or siliy-stamp. I've got the silly-stamp (USMC) on my upper arm. It always seems to start conversations on the dive boat as there are heaps of vets who dive.

Yeah, I got out in 89 when we had nothing on our cammies, and I was shocked awhile back when I saw Marines on T.V. with their names on them. They still don't look as unsat as army........:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom