We don't need no education....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a self-studied expert in the history of the great wars, does that qualify me to take troops into combat or teach a college course on the world wars? Your list means nothing... truly.

I dunno, you might do a better job then some under whom I've served. :eyebrow:

You can choose to limit your dive site choices by your education choices, but just don't whine if you're refused on a charter. That's what makes our world wonderful, you can somehow manage to go all these years without any certification (somewhat remarkable) in anything and the dive ops have the option to bump you without apology or embarrassment.

I'm a self-studied expert in the history of the great wars, does that qualify me to take troops into combat or teach a college course on the world wars? Your list means nothing... truly.
If all you've done is read watered down books, no. If all you've done is train with posers, no. If you spent the last thirty years in actual combat and survived, I might follow you up a hill, if you asked nicely.

In regards to Mandatory

How the legislation works - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

This is under how the legislation works..........

What you must do
To make Queensland workplaces healthier and safer, you must fulfil your obligations under the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995.

If a regulation exists for specific risks at your workplace, you must do what the Workplace Health and Safety Regulation 2008 says to prevent or minimise the impact of the risk.

If there is a Code of Practice - previously known as an Advisory Standard - about a risk at your workplace, you must either:

do what the Code says; or

adopt and follow another way that gives the same level of protection against the risk; and ensure you take reasonable precautions and exercise proper diligence.

If no regulation or code of practice exists about a risk at your workplace, you must choose an appropriate way to manage exposure to the risk, take reasonable precautions and exercise due care.

The code of Practice I have been referring to is the Recreational Scuba diving Code of Practice.

Compressed Air Recreational Diving and Recreational Snorkeling Code of Practice 2005
The purpose of the Compressed Air Recreational Diving and Recreational Snorkelling Code of Practice is to give practical advice about ways to manage exposure to risks identified as typical when conducting compressed air recreational diving or recreational snorkelling

What law applies

In order to understand the workplace health and safety requirements for diving and your obligations under the law you must consider and understand relevant legislation and codes of practice.

General health and safety obligations
What you must do
Specific regulations for diving
Specific codes of practice for diving
General health and safety obligations

To understand your obligations and safety requirements you must be familiar with the:
Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 (PDF, 766 KB), which imposes obligations on people at workplaces to ensure workplace health and safety

The Workplace Health and Safety Regulation 2008 describes what must be done to prevent or control certain hazards which cause injury, illness or death

Codes of practice, which are designed to give practical advice about ways to manage exposure to risks common to industry.
Every Queensland employer must have workers' compensation insurance. Most employers insure with WorkCover Queensland, while a small number of large organisations have their own insurance. This insurance coverage ensures that employees injured at work receive financial support.

What you must do

It is a requirement of the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 that risks must be assessed and control measures then implemented and reviewed to prevent or minimise exposure to the risks.

If the regulation describes how to prevent or minimise a risk at your workplace you must do what the regulation says. If there is a code of practice that describes how to prevent or minimise a risk at your workplace you must do what the code says or adopt and follow another way that gives the same level of protection against the risk.

If there is no regulation or code of practice about a risk at your workplace you must choose an appropriate way to manage exposure to the risk. People must, where there is no regulation or code of practice about a risk, take reasonable precautions and exercise proper diligence against the risk.

See the Risk Management Code of Practice 2007 for further information.
Specific regulations for diving
Part 14 of the Workplace Health and Safety Regulation 2008 places requirements on operators, employers and self- employed people in the recreational diving/snorkelling and occupational diving industries.
For example:
For recreational dive operators, the regulation requires that:
all people on board a vessel are counted
dive workers are medically fit to dive
potential divers receive advice about medical conditions
dive logs are kept
divers or snorkellers are appropriately supervised and
a risk assessment is carried out.
For occupational dive operators, the regulation requires that:
a risk assessment is conducted
dive logs are kept
divers are competent and qualified, and medically fit to dive.
Specific codes of practice for diving
Codes of practice offer practical advice to employers, self-employed people and workers in the diving industry about how to meet these requirements and make diving a healthier and safer activity.
Codes of practice specific to the diving industry are:
Compressed Air Recreational Diving and Recreational Snorkelling Code of Practice 2005
This code covers employers, self-employed persons and workers who conduct recreational diving or recreational snorkelling as part of a business or undertaking, other than diving or snorkelling in a swimming pool.
Occupational Diving Work Code of Practice 2005
This code covers employers, self-employed persons and workers who conduct recreational diving or recreational snorkelling as part of a business or undertaking, other than diving or snorkelling in a swimming pool.
Industry Code of Practice for Recreational Technical Diving
Occupational diving covered in this code is where a person conducting a business or undertaking, including an employer or self-employed person conducts occupational diving as part of his or her undertaking. Types of occupational diving covered includes underwater work using compressed air for the purposes of harvesting, construction, object retrieval, photography, science, research and aquaculture.
However, you may adopt other processes and methods that are more suited to your business or work activity as long as they give the same level of protection against a risk.
The regulation and code may not outline every risk at your workplace, so read these guidelines in conjunction with the Risk Management Code of Practice 2007.
Last updated 08 September 2009

In regards to the actual code of practice
re wreck diving cert....
I am having problems downloading the PDF to copy and paste.....
but
here is a small subsection on the web page

Training
Ensure that recreational diving workers are trained in the procedures required at any particular dive site and qualified for the recreational diving work they are undertaking.

Ensure that dive supervisors have appropriate experience for the area they are supervising.
Before diving, assess the knowledge, skills and abilities of potential divers at all levels.
Ensure that a dive instructor does not teach ascent training to more than one class (eight students to one dive instructor or 10 students to one dive instructor and one certified assistant) in any 24 hour period.
Last updated 08 September 2009

Show me. Not an interpretation, not what you remember from a class, show me the law itself.

This is not what I remember from a class,
This is not a interpretation.

My statements were based on reviewing the Workplace Health and Safety act, and having to know what my obligations were. My assessment for my Cert 4 was based on my knowledge and getting it right. We spent many hours reviewing the legislation and how it affected us as future trainers. Many of those hours were spent learning to interpret the legislation.

Sorry, but I find your comment humorously hypocritical. What you're saying is that you're better educated than a dive instructor, so you don't need to take anymore classes to either refine your education or fill in the gaps? Oh right, you don't have gaps in your education.

Who's got a hubris issue now?

Remember that your life isn't the only one on the boat, and if you're just too overly experienced (or perhaps lazy) to get training then why would anybody else trust you?

By what I've read here, I seriously doubt much of what you say.

He's not full of it. Go to Vintage Double Hose and look up some of the technical diving gear that he has rebuilt himself, some of it is 30-50 years old. If he was blowing smoke up your rear end, he would not be involved with the NAVED or VDH. You may disagree with him, but do not try to bash him or poke him full of holes because Gill is a very knowledgeable diver.

Here's how I see it.

There was a millenia of men (and women) who just did stuff. Climb Mount Everest.. ok, Sail around the world.. ok, Land on Normandy.. ok. These people had what used to be called moxie. They also put their children through school and then university, something denied to many of them because they were too busy doing something. The University generation then grew up and began to believe in their own BS. That "formal education" was what enabled them to do something. It always comes as a great shock (and threat) when someone just goes out and does something without the formal education.

... but... you can't do that... your not ... qualified.

I just watched a show about a guy in Copenhagen that built the worlds largest civilian submarine... and he wasn't even an engineer. He just loves subs.
http://www.uc3nautilus.dk/

If you want to know what a non certified guy can do read some of this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005279&pagenumber=1

Yeah, this guy is like a more arrogant version of me (if that's even possible) :rofl3:

Well maybe if you took the course and got certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom