How to find a good instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustavo_albuquerque

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm a vacation diver (3 yrs but only ~30 dives). I have OW, AOW and Nitrox certs (PADI).
Now I want to be a more frequent diver. In the long run, maybe years from now, my goal is cave diving.

I need to improve my buoyancy, trim and propulsion skills. Then I took the PPB course last month and learned nothing, unfortunately. Very frustrating :/
Very very incomplete poor course. ~1h in class talking about weighting plus little more than 1h is open waters diving through hoops and some "Buddha" hover.

Seems that's a common sense here in the forum to "find a good instructor".

But I don't know how.

How can I know this or that instructor is actually good?
How can I find good instructors?

Those three certs that I have, its from three different dive shops, during my travels.
I never had contact with the instructors before the course. The dive shops sold the courses and assigned an instructor from their staff.

More info:
I live in São Paulo / Brazil. The nearest dive site from me is Ilhabela. A famous dive site in Brazil, a very beautiful island. But I have never dived there yet.

Does anyone who knows Ilhabela could recommend a good dive shop and/or a good instructor there?

Many thanks!

Sergio R. Schirato is a GUE instructor in Sao Paulo: sergio.schirato@gue.com

His resume is as follows:

Professional
  • Managing director of Daemon Investimentos
  • Researcher at the laboratory of energetics and theoretical physiology of the Biosciences Institute of the University of Sao Paulo
  • More than 20 years of experience in investment banking, F/X, derivatives and quantitative trading
  • Active scuba dive instructor since 1998

Education
  • BS in Business Administration, Pontifícia Universidade Católica, Sao Paulo - Brazil
  • Graduate in Finance, Instituto Brasileiro de Mercado de Capitais - “IBMEC” (currently Insper)
  • MBA jointly granted by New York University - Leonard Stern School of Business, London School of Economics and Political Sciences and HEC Paris
  • Latu Senso post-graduate in Applied Math
  • PhD, University of Sao Paulo (USP)

Diving Qualifications
  • Scuba diver since 1988
  • More than 3.000 dives
  • GUE Fundamentals Instructor
  • GUE Tech 2
  • GUE Cave 2
  • GUE DPV
  • GUE Rebreather Diver / CCR Cave
  • PADI Open Water Instructor
  • NSS Full Cave Diver
  • DAN BLS and Advanced Oxygen First Aid Instructor

Publications
  • Heart rate variability changes as an indicator of decompression-related physiological stress, UHM 2018, VOL. 45, NO. 2
  • Decompression: Revisiting old assumptions, Quest Magazine, VOL. 20, 2019
  • Association Between Heart Rate Variability and Decompression-Induced Physiological Stress, Front. Physiol., 11:743.
  • Heart Rate Variability: What it is and Why it Matters, InDepth (Heart Rate Variability: What it is and Why it Matters), 8/03/2020

Languages
  • English
  • Portuguese
  • Italian - good understanding
GUE instructors are known for teaching quality trim, buoyancy and propulsion courses and he has the cave diving background to help you reach your goal.

Hello,

I'm a vacation diver (3 yrs but only ~30 dives). I have OW, AOW and Nitrox certs (PADI).
Now I want to be a more frequent diver. In the long run, maybe years from now, my goal is cave diving.

I need to improve my buoyancy, trim and propulsion skills. Then I took the PPB course last month and learned nothing, unfortunately. Very frustrating :/
Very very incomplete poor course. ~1h in class talking about weighting plus little more than 1h is open waters diving through hoops and some "Buddha" hover.

Seems that's a common sense here in the forum to "find a good instructor".

But I don't know how.

How can I know this or that instructor is actually good?
How can I find good instructors?

Those three certs that I have, its from three different dive shops, during my travels.
I never had contact with the instructors before the course. The dive shops sold the courses and assigned an instructor from their staff.

More info:
I live in São Paulo / Brazil. The nearest dive site from me is Ilhabela. A famous dive site in Brazil, a very beautiful island. But I have never dived there yet.

Does anyone who knows Ilhabela could recommend a good dive shop and/or a good instructor there?

Many thanks!
In Ilhabela i would recommend Leonardo Taboada, but there are some real good instructors near you send me a PM, and i can help you

In São Paulo, you can contact SCAFO ABC. They are in Santo Andre, so that might be a bit far They have some good instructors (Edu, Rafa and Luiz come to mind). Scafoabc - Scafo ABC. Scuba Point is in Lapa. I don't know any of the instructors there, but I do know one of their dive masters and someone else who has trained with them. The latter is now quite an accomplished cave and tech diver. Home - Scuba Point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom