We don't need no education....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I was diving for 11 years also before I ever attended a certification class, and that was not for the class but because the program I was in in college voted to take a scuba class en mass as our PE course, so I went along for the ride.

The classes are (especially specialty courses) are only as good as the instructor that teaches them- most I have seen taught are a joke. It is up to the diver to interview his prospective instructor and find out if the class will actually teach him what he needs and wants. I have been diving mix since the 90's and wrecks and caves for years before I had certs for them- I think my few thousand successful dives in caves and wrecks make me much safer than newly certified "Wreck" diver with 4 dives on a wreck. I have also over the last few years sought out training from some highly qualified instructors to show me new techniques but also since I make my living teaching divers and want to offer higher levels of certs I needed to pass through the wickets for the cert agencies to teach for them. Many of the instructors I found teaching these specialties have a lot to learn a few dives swimming around a wreck and a bit of plastic from PADI does not make you a wreck dive instructor just as owning a camera does not make you an Photo instructor.

I am certified to teach UW Photo but I don't because I am no good at it- we have a photo pro who teaches Photo classes and I think any photographer who take a class with him would learn something and get value for the class - knowledge not a card. Any class can improve a diver and give him value for the money, unfortunately most people that are posing as scuba instructors don't take the time to add the value to the course.

And any of you old guys who want to enjoy some warm water, wreck dives, reef dives etc.. You are more than welcome to come out to Okinawa and enjoy some great dives with us.

Thal,

Isn't it interesting that when I went for my first c-card back in 1976 (Or was it '77? I don't remember. Too long ago.), the instructor didn't even bat an eye when I showed up with my DA Aqua-Master, steel 72 with J valve, capillary depth gauge and Timex diver's watch? No BC and no SPG. Can you imagine that?

That's the way it was.

Looking at the lists of certification courses given by TDI and PADI I am missing these. But as I have been doing deep wrecks since 1983, mix since 1993, and mixing my own gas since 1997, I think I'll skip them all.

TDI
Advanced Nitrox Diver
Decompression Procedures Diver
Extended Range Diver
Advanced Trimix Diver
Overhead Environment Courses
Advanced Wreck Diver
Nitrox Gas Blender
Advanced Gas Blender
O2 Service Technician

PADI
Adventure Diver
Boat Diver
Deep Diver
Drift Diver
Dry Suit Diver
Ice Diver
Multilevel Diver
Night Diver
Search and Recovery Diver
Wreck Diver
Discover Tec Diving
Tec Diver Level One
Tec Deep Diver
Tec Trimix Diver
Tec Gas Blender

I think topside for 14 years speaks for itself. Any dive op willing to take you on a Wreck would be taking huge liability risk, particularly with your lack of instructor-level training.

If you're worried about it, sign up for a Padi wreck diving course. It'll cost you maybe $250 and you'll probably get 2-4 dives and maybe a few new procedures out of it. You'll likely get a divemaster guide, reference materials, boat trip with emergency radio, free air refills and gear rentals, dive maps, and for hardly more than the cost of two 2-tank dive trips. Then you can prove to Padi and the dive world that you're as cool as you say you are.

Oh please:rofl3:

If you're worried about it, sign up for a Padi wreck diving course. It'll cost you maybe $250 and you'll probably get 2-4 dives and maybe a few new procedures out of it. You'll likely get a divemaster guide, reference materials, boat trip with emergency radio, free air refills and gear rentals, dive maps, and for hardly more than the cost of two 2-tank dive trips. Then you can prove to Padi and the dive world that you're as cool as you say you are.

Captain, I know what you mean. So, how much should I charge this instructor for a tour of the insides of the U-853. That means from the Bow torpedo tubes back to the stern ones. Lets see that will be 7 compartments. Or perhaps if he is mix qualified I could take him into the USS Bass's engine room? But I don't think I'd take him into Officers quarters, he might not be qualified for that.

The boat trip will be $130-$160 per day.

"Incubus34, if you don't think guys like me are good enough to share the ocean with you because we don't need a pocket full of plastic, fine."

Not true, I just differ from your educational point-of-view and your opinion on certification standards. You think because your circle of divers trusts you to wreck dive with them then the dive world also has to trust their opinion. I think that's patently ridiculous... and I'm not even taking the 14 year hiatus into account when i say that.

Regarding education Incubus is correct.

If you only dive with the same people for 20 years and take 15 years off from diving, it is reasonable to say there are some gaps in your education that should be verified before you're welcome on a penetration wreck or cave dive. Having new instructors and mentors in your life will only enhance what you've already learned with new ideas.

I don't think Incubus was referring to easy recreation dives, but dives that put OTHERS in jeopardy, besides those unwilling to certify out of stubborn pride.

Oh please:rofl3:

He may have been exaggerating the perks of an adventure certification course, but he's not far from the mark. Want a cavern or cave dive certification from Ginnie Springs, FL where a lot of good cave instructors reside? You'll pay around $225 plus expenses and get 4 dives.

On a Mexico trip I spent the same on two 2-tank dive trips, learned little and had a lot of fun. Had I done it over again I'd have paid $275 and gotten Cavern cert and had just as much fun.

The cost just doesn't add up to the level of resistance to taking a course. If it were $500 per class then I'd understand, but its hardly more than the cost of diving.

Back
Top Bottom