Waterproof Octans Vs Merino-Evolution Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saylke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are about the place an order for DUI drysuits and are looking for appropriate undergarments. Currently we are looking at the Octans garment by Waterproof and the Merino-Evolution garment by Pinnacle. Any input? We dive in the cold Puget Sound, low to mid-40's.

Any feedback from experience with either of these garments would be appreciated.

My wife and I are about the place an order for DUI drysuits and are looking for appropriate undergarments. Currently we are looking at the Octans garment by Waterproof and the Merino-Evolution garment by Pinnacle. Any input? We dive in the cold Puget Sound, low to mid-40's.
I am a big fan of the Pinnacle Merino-Evolution undies. Very warm in the Puget Sound and San Juan Islands waters. I replaced a worn out pair of Andy's Undies with the Pinnacle and I've never been happier. They're the warmest undies out there - at least amongst those manufacturers honest and open enough to post CLO ratings for their undies...which is about the only way to make true apples-to-apples comparisons.

The price on them is right, too - shop around for a good deal and you'll be out around two and a half scubabucks, which, in the undies game, is a pretty reasonable outlay for what you get.

The downside is they're kind of buoyant. I went up about five pounds of lead when I switched to them from the Andy's...not the biggest deal in the world when diving CCR, but when both rebreathers were down and I was blowing bubbles on the doubles, I actually needed a weight belt :(

Camerone, do you have any ideas on how well the wool garments insulate when wet, as in a flooded DS, compared to the synthetics.

Merino wool is just as good if not better than synthetics when its wet. I can't find the website at the moment but it compared the different types of materials and their insulating properties when wet.

Merino wool is just as good if not better than synthetics when its wet. I can't find the website at the moment but it compared the different types of materials and their insulating properties when wet.

That's interesting, I wonder what they've done to new wool to make it so very different to old wool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom