Water temps in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalekainxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the water temps around the keys in May? And thickness wetsuit or shorty would you recommand for day and night dives. Thanks.

Water temps then can be 80 degrees or more. Depends on the depth though - go to 300' in a skinsuit, do a long hang, and you're going to be frozen. Also depends on how cold you get. My wife wears a Lycra skinsuit in May. I wear a 1mm. We cover everything to avoid any stinging little critters in the water column. People from WayUpThere places like Vancouver think the water down here in the middle of winter is hot so plan accordingly. Even in a shorty, it's good if you have a skinsuit for solar protection above and critterette protection below.

A 3/2 fullsuit can be just a bit bulky for the summer but I'll take that tradeoff for insulatation against jelly stings, etc. I've never been too warm in in my 3/2, even in 86° water. Out of the water is a different story. :) Obviously YMMV.

Check out the NOAA Coastal Underwater Guide. One thing not terribly intuitive is that the Molasses Reef buoy MLRF1 (actually near Key Largo but labeled Key West) is on the Eastern Gulf of Mexico page, while the actual Key West Station is on the Southern Atlantic Coast page.

Would something like a Microprene Full Jumpsuit by Hendersons be warm enough? Or a shorty with skins be better?

i usually wear a skin and the "long" (pants) part of a 3 mil farmer john (i.e. i don't wear
the "shorty" part of the farmer john).

that's usually enough to keep me warm, and the skin on my arms protects from
the assorted nefarious critters with evil intent.

i used to dive with just the farmer john bottom (i.e. shorty), but that left my
legs exposed. and, frankly, it made me look like a dork.

or, more like a dork. let's say it increased the dorkness quotient.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom