Water temp. and wetsuit in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nradov

Reaction score
I'll be staying at Freeport Resort & Club for a week in mid-April and would like to get in a few reef dives. What water temperature should I expect, and what wetsuit thickness do most of you use?
(It's been a long time since I've dived without a drysuit.)

We're going to be on the Explorer Ventures boat in Georgetown the first of April. They're recommending 5mm suits for fall, winter, and spring. I'm going to take a hooded vest too--multiple dives/day for week suck out the heat. Last May I was comfy in a 5mm suit on Nassau, no hood on most dives.

I would say temps will hover around 74 degrees. 3mm-5mm depending on personal tolerance...

The very cold winter has driven water tempetures down to the low 70's but the recent warm weather has water temperatures warming up quickly. I think you can expect temperatures of 75 to 77. How much wetsuit you need really depends upon you, but probably somewhere between 3mm & 5mm.

The water temp was 71 on Friday, April 2nd.

Just returned from the Bahamas, fantastic trip, especially the dives off San Salvador. Hammerheads were seen by everybody except me and my partner, just wrong place wrong time. Water temps ranged from 72-74, gradually trending warmer during the week. I was fine in Pinnacle 5mm Merino/Elastaprene with 5mm hood. My partner was a petite woman, and got chilled on some dives in a 3mm suit and hood. Other outfits on the boat ranged from a 3mm shorty over skin to 7mm suits. Any colder and I would be bringing my dry suit, especially early in the season with cool air temps and a breeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom