Water in nose pocket normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I purchased an Atomic Subframe which sealed nicely in the store. Took it into the pool and while no water got into the lens area, at the moment I lowered my head I could feel water enter the nose pocket. Blowing out cleared it but it'd fill up again.

I don't think this is normal and I've since returned the mask but I wanted to see if I'm just being overly picky or if this is just a "bad mask fit" situation.

Advice?

Rey

Having the straps the right tension is very important- you can over tighen a mask, if you can suck thru your nose to pressurize the mask, then hold your breath and let go(without the straps on above water) of the mask with your hands it should stay on your face, if you can't do that its a bad size/fit.
the only other reason it might leak is hair under the seal or the lense is leaking.
get a mares essence liquidskin-
Mares Essence LiquidSkin Mask

Seems like the reviewers were happy!
I am happy with mine too, no marks on my face today after 2hours underwater.
:wink:

The nose pocket of my mask remains dry.

Do you exhale through your nose at all while diving?

As already mentioned, make sure that the mask strap isn't too tight and that you don't have anything preventing the mask from making a good seal.

I suspect that, for some people, having a reg mouthpiece in their mouth can change the way the mask seals against their face.

Be patient. Once you find a mask that fits well, buy at least one more as a backup.

Reactions:
I agree when your reg is in your upper lip may jut out enough to allow some water in. Mustashes are usual culprits and since I have one I carry a chapstick to wax it and it helps. Personally I dont mind a bit of water in my mask and on long swims over an hour if I start to fog up I can shake my head around and the water in the nose clears it up like an inside winshield wiper. In rescue class we were trained to be able to breathe past small amounts of water thru the nose and the sensation now doesnt seem to be a problem. Good luck with it.

Agree with the responses that point out the differences between fitting a mask in the shop without a reg and fitting one with a reg in your mouth. Not only can the jutting upper lip change the seal, but it can accentuate smile lines that run from your nose to the corners of your mouth. Water can get it there and fill the nose pocket of the mask. I also second the recommendation not to pull the strap overly tight. That makes the skin pucker at the smile line, too. I see lots of new divers put the strap low on the backs of their heads, too, and this also seems to promote leaking--the best position for the strap, in my experience, is high on the back of the head, right at where it begins to curve up to the crown.

Thank you guys. Great feedback. In my case, I was trying out the mask without a regulator in mouth and still getting quite a bit of water in the nose pocket. I felt that was a good indicator that if I had a reg in mouth, I'd have a leaky mask.

I'm going to try out some other masks with your feedback in mind. Thank you. :)

Everyone above already put out the good advice. I'll add that I actually prefer a little water in my mask to keep it from fogging up... but I don't think I really ever get it in the nose pocket - except maybe only if I look up. Either way, this is water I let in, it doesn't leak in.

@PansSiren: Thanks for your feedback. Yeah the water just enters no matter how I adjust the mask. Doesn't feel right. No worries. I'll find one that fits my big schozz :)

I agree when your reg is in your upper lip may jut out enough to allow some water in. Mustashes are usual culprits and since I have one I carry a chapstick to wax it and it helps. Personally I dont mind a bit of water in my mask and on long swims over an hour if I start to fog up I can shake my head around and the water in the nose clears it up like an inside winshield wiper. In rescue class we were trained to be able to breathe past small amounts of water thru the nose and the sensation now doesnt seem to be a problem. Good luck with it.

I like it best when I don't even get salt water in my mask- apply anti-fog and rinse off with freshwater, put mask on above water in the boat and having no leaks the hold dive, a dry face feels great.
Ps- I am a stairman too!!!!

Yea, 99% of my dives are in fresh water caves. Having saltwater in a mask might make me sneeze, which may add some natural anti-fog. but snot really what I want rolling around in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom