Water in nose pocket normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with the Tusa Powerview which doesn't seem to have this issue for me, at least in the pool. I get a tiny bit of water but that clears very easily and seems pretty normal based on other masks i've used. Also, you may want to check out Mares liquid skin masks as they're supposed to provide more flexible silicon which may seal better.

Thanks, i'll take a look at the Tusa.

I actually found couple masks that are the lesser of all the other evils, Aqua Lung Look 2 and the Cressi Big Eye.

NOW i will have to admit that i also had to do some trimming on the mustache and practiced snorkeling in the pool to become more conformable with the water that did get in, and on occasion I'll get a good seal and no problems!! But after talking the some more experience diver and DM's for some of us it's a fact of life and adjust fire and move on.

Thanks for all input,

"D"

@Big_D: Cool! Even with the Tusa, I had some water get in on occasion but it was definitely bearable and nowhere near what I felt w/ the Atomic. Good luck!

Bleh. I just threw up a little at the thought of snot floating around my face. :p

Snot is one thing but blood is worse. (I once dove too soon after I thought my cold was over and blew out a sinus during the descent)

Snot is one thing but blood is worse. (I once dove too soon after I thought my cold was over and blew out a sinus during the descent)

OMG! I didn't know that could happen!

OMG! I didn't know that could happen!

It's physics. The sinuses have to equalize somehow- if a sinus cavity is blocked the pressure will blow the wall of the sinus cavity out. The symtom was a sharp pain in my head that suddenly relieved itself during the descent. The mask didn't fill with blood until the ascent though. If you ever feel pain in your head when descending, it's not a good idea to continue. Pain is there for a reason. Lucky I didn't get a sinus infection afterward. The things we do when we are young and dumb...

Good luck finding a good-fitting mask. When you find one, buy two. That way if you slam your trunk on one of them you have a ready replacement. The things we do when we are old and tired...

It's physics. The sinuses have to equalize somehow- if a sinus cavity is blocked the pressure will blow the wall of the sinus cavity out. The symtom was a sharp pain in my head that suddenly relieved itself during the descent. The mask didn't fill with blood until the ascent though. If you ever feel pain in your head when descending, it's not a good idea to continue. Pain is there for a reason. Lucky I didn't get a sinus infection afterward. The things we do when we are young and dumb...

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've only had one instance where I couldn't equalize (due to congestion) and aborted the dive.

Good luck finding a good-fitting mask. When you find one, buy two. That way if you slam your trunk on one of them you have a ready replacement. The things we do when we are old and tired...

Thanks! Good idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom