Exhaling small bubble(s) through nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poomezy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone!

I’m new to scuba and noticed my mask was leaking quite often. A friend suggested that I may be exhaling through my nose a bit. To test this out I took a pale filled with water and with no mask I began breathing through my snorkel. For the most part I just exhale through my mouth but occasionally a small bubble or two would exit from the left nostril. It also would happen if I wiggled my nose around, regardless of if I was breathing or not but would come out both sides. It doesn’t happen every time but it’s almost like I can feel it building up until it finally happens again. Is this normal?

Hey everyone!

I’m new to scuba and noticed my mask was leaking quite often. A friend suggested that I may be exhaling through my nose a bit. To test this out I took a pale filled with water and with no mask I began breathing through my snorkel. For the most part I just exhale through my mouth but occasionally a small bubble or two would exit from the left nostril. It also would happen if I wiggled my nose around, regardless of if I was breathing or not but would come out both sides. It doesn’t happen every time but it’s almost like I can feel it building up until it finally happens again. Is this normal?
I don’t know about “normal” but it’s certainly not a problem. You need to exhale through your nose occasionally to equalize the pressure in the mask. This does not cause water to enter your mask. If you’re getting water in your mask, you likely either have hair under the skirt or the mask isn’t a good fit for your face.

I don’t know about “normal” but it’s certainly not a problem. You need to exhale through your nose occasionally to equalize the pressure in the mask. This does not cause water to enter your mask. If you’re getting water in your mask, you likely either have hair under the skirt or the mask isn’t a good fit for your face.
I do have a bit of facial hair so I will try shaving and trying it again. I’ll also look into trying some new masks as I got this one quite hastily before my OW classes. I guess my concern is more with some potential defect in my nose but I seem to be able to inhale just through my mouth, although this was the one skill that took me a bit of practice!

I do have a bit of facial hair so I will try shaving and trying it again. I’ll also look into trying some new masks as I got this one quite hastily before my OW classes. I guess my concern is more with some potential defect in my nose but I seem to be able to inhale just through my mouth, although this was the one skill that took me a bit of practice!
My experience as an instructor has been that the right mask fixes the vast majority of mask clearing issues.

My experience as an instructor has been that the right mask fixes the vast majority of mask clearing issues.
And remember: price =/= fits you well, brand =/= fits you well, fits someone else =/= fit you well, etc.

It may not be the mask. It could be the way you controlblocking your nasal airway. I had/have similar concerns and I practice making sure i can block the nasal airways. This for me also means taking Sudafed to clear the passageway, but that may not be the solution for you. I was also looking a nose plugs and got answers for and against using them. I opted to not use them in the end.

A lot of people get mask leaks because they move the facial muscles and break the seal. Anything like a smile will do it.

It is also possible that the mask does not fit well. Some people have facial shapes that are extremely hard to fit. Take the time and work with a skilled person to make sure you have a good fit. One thing I always liked to do was tip my head back as far as it would go and place the mask on the face, with only gravity holding it in place. Trace a finger around the mask skirt in search of gaps.

I'm a new diver and during my certification, I had bubbles escaping around the edge of my mask. I was breathing through my nose and mouth. While this was an annoyance, the real issue came when I had to do the remove/replace mask exercise. I was sucking water into my nose with the mask off. My problem was resolved simply by focusing on mouth-only breathing in normal scuba situations.

I exhale a bit through my nose as well and that by itself is not a reason for mask leaks. Sometimes a tiny shift of your mask up/down while under water can help seal it. I have facial hair and before diving always shave a small strip of moustage right under my nose. That works for me. It doesn't look the part but at least I got no leaky mask! Also, if you wear a hood, make sure that the mask's edge is clear from the hood. You don't want the hood to interfere with the silicone seal of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom