Watching Ticket Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, I've been planning about a 8 week trip for Sept/Oct and watching tickets for the past few months.. $700+ is about the best it was looking.. So I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and " BANG " If I go for 9 weeks I can get tickets for $560 round trip... So, I think long and hard for 10 seconds and pull the trigger for a 9 week trip to Bonaire.. The more flexible you are, The better deal you can get.. Oh, It helps if you're retired and have a free place to stay also.. :)

Jim...

Last edited:
I had a hard time trying to determine whether you' re bragging or complaining.
Doesn't matter, 9 weeks, you definitely suck.
Enjoy your stay.

I had a hard time trying to determine whether you' re bragging or complaining.
Doesn't matter, 9 weeks, you definitely suck.
Enjoy your stay.

Just pointing out that you need to be flexible to get good airfares to Bonaire... :) If it makes you guys feel better... My wife/scuba buddy can only come down for 2 weeks...

Jim...

Just pointing out that you need to be flexible to get good airfares to Bonaire... :) If it makes you guys feel better... My wife/scuba buddy can only come down for 2 weeks...

Jim...
Now you are really rubbing it in...

This is the problem with Bon airfares. You get a rate that is still about twice what it should be and we celebrate

You do know that every time you check the price, it drives the price up - even if you don't book. Works the same with both hotels and airfare. The travel site sees it as a POTENTIAL demand for that product and it drives the price up for the next time it is checked.

So, if you check it one day and get a price, and then the next day the price is higher, that's why. The more you check it, the higher the price is going to be. If you wait a few days to a week, the price will come back down (assuming no one else has checked for the exact same reservation).

You do know that every time you check the price, it drives the price up - even if you don't book. Works the same with both hotels and airfare. The travel site sees it as a POTENTIAL demand for that product and it drives the price up for the next time it is checked.

So, if you check it one day and get a price, and then the next day the price is higher, that's why. The more you check it, the higher the price is going to be. If you wait a few days to a week, the price will come back down (assuming no one else has checked for the exact same reservation).

I don't know if this still occurs, but some booking sites were said to store cookies on your computer that enabled them to inflate prices every time you checked back. Clearing your browser's cookies was said to help. I am not sure I ever experienced that myself, but the advice to clear your cookies was commonly given by the supposedly travel-savvy crowd.

I don't check dates... I look at the calendar of flights over the months I'm thinking about.. But , I understand that if you look at the same flight every time that the computers at the airlines would some how see it as a means to raise the fare.. I find it harder to see how the airlines could use data from matrix or google flights to increase a seat price on one flight when I'm looking at 3 airlines and 30-60-90 days at a time..

I for one don't see $500 - $600 dollars round trip from Boston to Bonaire as crazy high... That's only $250 one way for a flight that's 2100 miles in a $320,000,000.00 dollar airplane.... I do think the baggage fee game sucks..

Jim...

And I clear my cookies and history every day..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom