Flight Ticket prices since Lockdown…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So in the process of planning my first international trip since lockdown, the tickets to Bali used to be about usd450 for many years until 2020 now I don’t see any options lower than usd550! That too with long transit stops… gets worse if I try to select my preferred flights with a short layover via KLIA! And then I got a nasty shock on the booking page when I found a slightly tempting price was without even the 20kg check-in bags by default!

How much are you folks on SB paying these days for flights to Bali? Just wondering if this is across the board. Didn’t do much research on this last few years as long as the threat of compulsory quarantine was present. So now I am just plain shocked and disappointed…

Actually less than 8% per year simply follows the inflation rate. But for domestic flight within Indonesia you sometimes have to pay 2 - 5 times as much as in 2020. By the way, disappointed just means you had wrong expectations.

Quit while you are ahead!

For me to fly to Bali from Canada right now will cost well over $2,000 CAD (about $1480 US)
Flew there in Sept 2022 was around $1900 CAD
Various domestic flights were all $3-500 CAD

Quit while you are ahead!

For me to fly to Bali from Canada right now will cost well over $2,000 CAD (about $1480 US)
Flew there in Sept 2022 was around $1900 CAD
Various domestic flights were all $3-500 CAD

You are far away so it is not unreasonable for the distance travelled. Right now the usual prices I am seeing are in the range of 600usd with a 0kg check-in baggage allowance for economy class. With 14 kgs scuba gear + 4 kg hard shell suitcase + 8kg clothing (leave aside the 8kg for carry-on electronics) - the ticket pricing looks gross to me when I have flown twice around 450 usd with 20kg check-in bags. After weeks of monitoring prices I am finally resigned to my fate.

I was actually more reluctant as my upcoming trip does not include an extensive diving itinerary beyond doing a course.

Geez. Mia to Denpasar .. 2K in economy or >6K in business

Lucky it’s such a good price :)

Just booked Sydney to Denpasar (Bali) for April/May 2024. Flying Qantas, got AU$790 return. Went same time this year and it was over AU$1300, so had to fly a budget airline. US$550 without baggage (say under AU$860) from India is a similar price to Sydney and you are flying about the same distance.

Sadly the increase in the air fare, the lack of direct flights anymore between Blighty and Indonesia and my reluctance to spend my holiday time on long distance travel means I now can only look on SB at others having fun :(
Perhaps when I retire I can return :).
The flight cost from the UK is about 2.5 times higher since my pre covid trips. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Inflation arguments are not relevant because wages have not gone up (and Governments lie about inflation).
It's all rubbish really, especially as my only diving option is Egypt, which is not great at all (compared to Nusa Penida and Komodo).
I slightly envy anyone who's still able to visit Indonesia. Hey, at least I'm saving the planet not flying.

Back
Top Bottom