Was wondering what thickness of wet-suit would be ideal for these 3 dive locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigershark007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some input into what thickness of wet-suit you all would recommend for these dive locations. The first location is near me it is Lake Okoboji, in Northwest IA, water temperature ranges between 40*F-80*F depending on the season between Spring through Fall. The second dive location I will be diving within the year is Bonne Terre Mine, just south of St. Louis MO. According to their website the water is at 59*F year round. The final location of diving would be Table Rock Lake in Missouri. I don't know the water temperature of this Lake, but know it gets to around like 100' deep or so depending where your diving in it. I have a 5mm Pinnacle Cruiser Full Length Wetsuit, 7mm Bare Hood, gloves, and boots. When I got my open water dives back in 2008, it was in Mid April at the Sandy Channel near Kearney NE and water temperature was about I want to say near 50*F or so. I will post another reply to this thread with the correct water temperature after looking back in my log book tomorrow when I dig it out of my scuba bag. But during that time I wore a 5mm full wetsuit, 5mm hood, gloves and boots. I was slightly chilly getting in, but once I was in, felt fine and differently didn't want to get out thats for sure, because it was misting rain out of the water. So it defiantly felt better to stay in the water. But as I was diving I wasn't cold. So my question is do you think I should be fine with what I have, or should I get like a 1mm rash guard shirt for underneath or what that would apply to all 3 locations listed above! Appreciate the input and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I should note, I am not certified to dive in a dry suit, and won't be for a little bit.

I looked up the actual temperature in my dive book this morning and the temperature was 46*F on April 11. Defiantly will consider a 7 plus lava core!

Diving Bonne Terre Mine I always use a 7mm hood & gloves, as for Table Rock Lake it all depends on how deep I am planning to dive?
Monday 8/17/15 we went anchor hunting in a couple of coves & max depth was around 52 ft with most of the dive time being around 30ft. For this I wore a 4/3 full suit with a hood & no gloves, and never got chilly, I didn't pay attention to what the water temps were at these depths & would have to go back & check my computer. Anytime I am planning a dive deeper than 50 ft in Table Rock I always wear a 7mm with hood & 3mm gloves as the temps range in the lower to mid 50's once you get deep.

drysuitwhy invest in something that is going to be either too hot in the summer or not warm enough in the winter? You don't need a drysuit cert....
I guess I'm confused as to how a dry suit, works. I know it keeps you dry when you dive obviously, but I figure by keeping you dry it will keep you warm. Wouldn't that make you hot in the summer? could you please explain how a dry suit keeps you cool in the summer?

drysuits come in 3 varieties
shell suits
compressed/crushed neoprene
neoprene *not good life decision unless all your diving is shallow, but has most thermal benefits*.

Shell suits have no inherent warmth because there is no insulation between you and the water. Your warmth is determined by what you put between you and the suit and the air barrier that acts as insulation. So in the summer, you can wear underarmour as a sweat wicking layer and it helps get in and out of the suit so you don't stick to it, and in the winter, you can put on heavy weight Polartec type undergarments that aren't that bulky but provide great insulation *any cold weather layering garments work, I use Ski gear*. In the summer you won't be able to cool off by flushing the suit like you can with a wetsuit, but you aren't liable to overheat.

Crushed neoprene suits have some inherent warmth, about that of a 3mm wetsuit, or 5mm if it's Merino lined like the Pinnacle Black Ice, and in that case, I wouldn't dive it above about 75f.

Regular neoprene suits have more warmth, usually about 7mm equivalent on their own, but they compress at depth and that changes your buoyancy so their only advantage is in shallow ice diving, and the fact that they're wicked cheap.

You really have two options, shell suit, or get minimum 4 pieces of wetsuit gear.
You have 40F, which requires minimum 7mm of neoprene at your core, and preferably at least 5mm on your legs. So a 5mm with a good hooded vest will work but you'll get chilly, especially if you go below about 50ft.
80f which is either a bathing suit, or a thin vest *I prefer a thin 2.5mm hooded vest just in case dive times run up.
In the middle you can wear the 5mm full suit, but at 100ft cold water it's not the best idea to be in neoprene especially if you are doing repetitive dives...

drysuits come in 3 varietiesshell suitscompressed/crushed neopreneneoprene *not good life decision unless all your diving is shallow, but has most thermal benefits*.Shell suits have no inherent warmth because there is no insulation between you and the water. Your warmth is determined by what you put between you and the suit and the air barrier that acts as insulation. So in the summer, you can wear underarmour as a sweat wicking layer and it helps get in and out of the suit so you don't stick to it, and in the winter, you can put on heavy weight Polartec type undergarments that aren't that bulky but provide great insulation *any cold weather layering garments work, I use Ski gear*. In the summer you won't be able to cool off by flushing the suit like you can with a wetsuit, but you aren't liable to overheat.Crushed neoprene suits have some inherent warmth, about that of a 3mm wetsuit, or 5mm if it's Merino lined like the Pinnacle Black Ice, and in that case, I wouldn't dive it above about 75f.Regular neoprene suits have more warmth, usually about 7mm equivalent on their own, but they compress at depth and that changes your buoyancy so their only advantage is in shallow ice diving, and the fact that they're wicked cheap.You really have two options, shell suit, or get minimum 4 pieces of wetsuit gear.You have 40F, which requires minimum 7mm of neoprene at your core, and preferably at least 5mm on your legs. So a 5mm with a good hooded vest will work but you'll get chilly, especially if you go below about 50ft.80f which is either a bathing suit, or a thin vest *I prefer a thin 2.5mm hooded vest just in case dive times run up.In the middle you can wear the 5mm full suit, but at 100ft cold water it's not the best idea to be in neoprene especially if you are doing repetitive dives...
I really appreciate this information, I can see the benefit of having a dry suit now. Which I will look into buying after paying off the other gear I just bought! So I guess the next question is, would you recommend a dry suit certification or not? I do not know any divers that use it and dive the most out of the divers I know, and I read its not necessary unless you want to rent a dry suit from some place. But be beneficial to have someone who knows what all the tricks of the trade with a dry suit if you don't get certified in for dry suit so you know how it all works. Can you help me with that one? I read that some shops offer it for free if you buy one, but not all places do that.

Cert good for rental. Not worth much if you own one and are a self-learner. Just finished a 1 hour dive in a farmer john 7 mil at 47F. Hands lose some coordination in the cold so OK for a rec dive. Not so good for a deco dive requiring gas switches or shooting an SMB.

If you get a dry suit, you should try to get some help from someone knowledgeable. It could be from a veteran dry suit user who is willing to show you the ropes, or it could be from an instructor teaching a formal class. Your learning curve will be much faster if you have some qualified assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom