Was I overcharged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of mine gave me a regulator setup that he had laying around for 8 or 10 years. I dropped it off at my LDS a couple months ago to get serviced. I just got it back and the cost was $221. He said that the 1st stage needed a new piston (the old one was in the bag).
On the receipt I see that I was charged $75 for labor, $25 for service kit, $7 for a hose protector, $50 for "parts", $15 for scuba supplies, and $50 for a rubber HP hose.

There is a new mouthpiece on the 2nd stage. I believe the 2nd stage is a Sherwood Brut but I do not know what the 1st stage is. I will attach a picture below.

It just bothers me that I could have bought a quality second hand regulator for this price.

Attachments

• 20180906_111109.jpg
    20180906_111109.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 115
That all looks average to me except that $50 HP hose. I normally pay around $20 for "normal" length hoses. Here's a site where you can order them for less than what I pay at my local dive shop: Hoses for SCUBA | Dive Gear Express® You could probably also get them from amazon or a bunch of other sites for around the same price.https://www.divegearexpress.com/hoses

Yes, paying for regulator service is expensive. Especially if it's a very old or neglected reg that needed an extra part as you've got. Be glad you're not into tech diving, where you'll end up owning several regulators! That's why people who get into tech diving tend to learn to service their own stuff.

Some brands do "support" end users doing self-service. Hog, Deep6, and I saw yesterday someone said Poseidon also does this. I believe in all cases you take a one day course to learn how to service. Other manufacturers try and limit who does servicing by limiting who they sell the parts kits to. You'll find a range of opinions on servicing your own regulators. Some people say you're not a competent diver until you can do it. Some people say that you're gonna die if you service your own. I think my opinion is somewhere near the middle of that.

That all looks average to me except that $50 HP hose. I normally pay around $20 for "normal" length hoses. Here's a site where you can order them for less than what I pay at my local dive shop: Hoses for SCUBA | Dive Gear Express®
Yes, he could have bought them there, but he paid full retail at the dive shop instead. And $50 is about right for a HP hose.

And to the OP. You now have a quality second hand regulator that has been checked out and serviced by your LDS. The pricing seems right to me. Far better than spending the money on eBay or Craig's list and getting something you have no idea what you're getting. IMO you did not get ripped off.

Ok thanks for the replies. I guess if I ever need a piston replaced again I'll just throw the reg in the trash.
Or do it yourself?

Ok thanks for the replies. I guess if I ever need a piston replaced again I'll just throw the reg in the trash.
I think many people would agree. However, keep in mind that all regulators need to be serviced regularly. Some have longer schedules such as 2 or maybe 3 years - but most require annual service.

Most shops charge $25/stage for labor and $25 for parts, so at least $100. If something's worn out our broken, that's extra - as you had with the piston.

Hose protectors are of debatable value, and are definitely optional. Hoses do go bad and have to be replaced, as do mouthpieces or anything else made of rubber that's been sitting around for the better part of a decade.

Dive shops don't tell you this stuff when they push you to buy your own regulator :wink: One of the biggest advantages to renting is that you don't have to pay for regulators to be serviced.

The piston was $50. The hose was $50. Grease and a mouthpiece was $15. I really don't think you have too much to complain about with a regulator that was maybe rinsed and thrown in a closet for 8-10 years. The tech spent 1-4 hours depending on how junky it was inside.

I know a number of folks who just buy a low end regulator and throw them away when they get hard to breathe. Especially urchin divers. Which is exactly what your friend did. We all live and learn.

You shouldn't need a piston replaced again. I also have an older model sherwood regulator 1st stage t(somewhere in my junk box) that had an improved piston and seat that came out for it. The old piston is not compatible with the new seat or something like that so the piston has to be changed as well. You will probably look at the piston and ask yourself why did they need to replace it as it probably appears fine. That piston is no longer used on the older sherwoods due to the improved design one....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom