Was I overcharged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a random bit of info here....

Your 1st stage is an old Sherwood. In olden times, some Sherwoods had a seat that was crimped into the piston so the entire piston was replaced when the seat started to have problem. At the end of the olden times, during the days of yore they made the seat replaceable but there was a non-replaceable bleed element in the piston (part of the 'dry system'.)

Current pistons have a replaceable seat and a replaceable bleed element. If they could get the current piston into your first stage, the next servicing might be a little less painful money-wise. (just a little)

Y'all keep referencing online shops. He went to the LDS.
As I said in my post, my LDS charges about $20 for normal sized (rubber) hoses. The link I provided was slightly cheaper at $18. Some shops charge more, some less. The miflex hoses cost far more at my local shop despite them being the same price as rubber hoses in online stores.

I can't exactly provide a link to my local shop because they don't have an online store, so I included a link to divegear express instead.

Or do it yourself?
I already planned to do this with all my regs in the future, even before I got this bill.

The throw it in the trash comment was kind of bratty of me. The guys at this shop have been really good to me I was just shocked because of my lack of knowledge about this subject.

Especially urchin divers. Which is exactly what your friend did. We all live and learn.

How did you know he was an urchin diver? Why are urchin divers known to do this? I assume it is because they stay at such shallow depths, hence performance isn't as much of a concern.

How did you know he was an urchin diver? Why are urchin divers known to do this? I assume it is because they stay at such shallow depths, hence performance isn't as much of a concern.
You're from Maine. I am a former urchin diver. I used to buy Sherwood's, although not Brut's. I used them up and threw them away. It was cheaper to buy a new one than service the old ones, even in the 90's. I was diving 80-100 feet for 4-6 hours a day. I was in it at the end.

I just got it back and the cost was $221. He said that the 1st stage needed a new piston (the old one was in the bag).
On the receipt I see that I was charged $75 for labor, $25 for service kit, $7 for a hose protector, $50 for "parts", $15 for scuba supplies, and $50 for a rubber HP hose.

The cost for labor of $75 ($25 per stage) is average, if not a little below. A few years ago I found $30 per stage was the average.
The $25 for the service kit is on the cheap end, especially if it is for all three stages. The hose protector is something that isn't needed. Some people insist on having it, others don't. Not sure what the $50, "parts", is for, however, that is about the average cost for a piston. The price of $50 for an HP hose is about right. That leaves the $15 for "supplies". Not sure what that is for.

Pistons are not replaced every time it is serviced; only when needed. This holds true with hoses. Take away those two components then the cost would have been $121 which is below average. The reality is there isn't anything to complain about except the hose protector and perhaps the cost for "supplies" which will depend on what it is for. If the $15 is for second stage service kits then that makes sense.

The comments above are not defending the shop which serviced your reg, rather they are to point out the cost for the service is just below average.

I understand now. It just seemed high because this was my first time getting a reg serviced and I didn't expect it to be anywhere near this much, but as pointed out by others it was on the cheap side.

At a good shop, with an old reg, the tech will do the following (times combined for all three stages):
1) disassemble (15 min total, unless balky parts due to verdigris corrosion)
2) inspect and likely clean much in ultrasonic if it sat in storage (20 min)
3) dry, lube and reassemble, torquing key parts to specification (20-30 min)
4) tune each stage to spec, after leaving 1st stage pressurized, watching for pressure "creep" (15 min)
5) wipe off fingerprints, tag and bag, then write findings and bill (10 min).
That's around an hour and a half; less if you do that particular model all the time, and more if you have to pull manuals and look up specs.
$50/hr is pretty reasonable, considering that the shop has to pay salary and benefits. Service is breakeven at best, with profit coming only from the markup on parts and kits.
That lack of profit is one reason why service is so uneven between shops. It's just not a passion, and most divers don't know what precision is really involved. The service is simple, generally, but tuning requirements are VERY precise. Certain parts are extremely easy to damage. Older sets that come in for service almost always take far longer than this, especially if you have to source hard-to-find old parts or refurbish something. That's a net loss for the shop.

Glad you are not upset at the price after explanation.

In such a situation, is the customer able to ask for a quote/estimate before work is done, or does the technician have to finish working on it before he’s able to know what it will cost?

Save that piston! Maybe...

The price seems right for LDS rates. As a DIY it is expensive.

Why was the piston replaced?

Please read up about your reg. It is designed to leak a very small stream of air from the first stage - via the small circle you will see in the piston. Many reg techs screw up the piston by tossing it in the ultrasonic bath with other greasy parts. Hence a new piston is required. Pistons do not fail through normal use. Stupid reg techs screw them up.

Does your first stage now leak air?

I am very surprised your LDS was able to source a replacement piston. Both of my Sherwood LDS claimed many many years ago that they could not get them anymore. So someone is lying to one of us...

Please post a pic of the piston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom