warranty and customer service on dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am in the market for a computer, i havent decide yet and i have a lot of options to choose from, all brands such as oceanic, scubapro, suunto, mares, tusa aeris... have a computer i may like but what it is holding me is the warranty and customer service. i am interested on a wrist computer.

could you guys comment on your experiences with warranties?
warranty periods?
and customer service?

I feel Oceanic has the best warranty and customer service in the buisness. I have had not problems at all. Also they test every single computer they make. There is no 10% sample rate it is every single one. I would go with any Oceanic. The GEO 2.0 is a great non air-intergraded one for $449. The OCS has an easier interface and a digital compass for $699. The Atom 3.0 is wirelessly air-intergrated for $999, and the mac daddy of computers the OC1 is wirelessly air-intergraded with the easy interface and digital compass with a TI housing is $1599. We have all four in stock if you would like me to send you one. Also you get 20% OFF if you send us an old computer of any kind working or not. Let me know.

Check this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...-shearwater-customer-service.html#post6534643

We've gotten a one week turn around (door to door shipping cross country) on a major repair on a 2 1/2 year old computer.

I've been diving for 27 years and have been using computers from seven different companies over the years and no body comes close to the customer service I get from Shearwater.

And the Shearwater Predator is by far the best computer I have ever used.

I'd say Atomic (Cobalt) if you were OK with a console, but say Shearwater (Petrel) since you aren't. Both are outstanding in terms of standing behind their products. If there's anything wrong, you call them, speak to a real person, send it in, and then get it back fast.

If a wristwatch sized, air integrated gizmo is what your heart is set on, though, I have no relevant experience from which to draw.

As a key man at my old LDS, I sent in a Suunto for repair. After months of not hearing anything (I had backups, so it wasn't a big deal), I came to learn they had lost my computer. They refused to replace it, reimburse me for it or cut me a deal on a new model. I told them I intended to file an insurance claim on it, filed as "stolen", but the insurance company would need the police report number to file the claim. Finally, after weeks of back and forth, they finally agreed to give me a deal on the new model. But my D9 and Stingers require a ship-in to have the battery replaced, I'm lucky to get them back in 30 days and ~$125 lighter. As soon as my last Suunto dies, I intend to look elsewhere, most likely with one of the American Underwater Products brands (Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis).

As a key man at my old LDS, I sent in a Suunto for repair. After months of not hearing anything (I had backups, so it wasn't a big deal), I came to learn they had lost my computer. They refused to replace it, reimburse me for it or cut me a deal on a new model. I told them I intended to file an insurance claim on it, filed as "stolen", but the insurance company would need the police report number to file the claim. Finally, after weeks of back and forth, they finally agreed to give me a deal on the new model. But my D9 and Stingers require a ship-in to have the battery replaced, I'm lucky to get them back in 30 days and ~$125 lighter. As soon as my last Suunto dies, I intend to look elsewhere, most likely with one of the American Underwater Products brands (Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis).

And if was thinking on a suunto, shearwater is too much for me....

I am dealing with a repair issue right now but prefer not to name the "manufacturer." Suffice it to say it is one of the private label brands manufactured by Seiko. I had problems with it beginning well before the one year warranty expired and notified the company. I couldn't send it in immediately because I was out in the field with no access to the USPS or UPS during that period. When I sent it in several weeks later, it took over 3 weeks for them to tell me there were problems with the circuit board and they couldn't repair it because they had no parts. Mind you, this is a computer model that was only discontinued about a month ago (and replaced by a new and improved one... maybe one that fixed the circuit board problems?). It was my understanding that manufacturers had to maintain a repair parts inventory for several years after a product was discontinued.

I am currently discussing this with their service tech and management so I don't wish to ID the manufacturer.

I am dealing with a repair issue right now but prefer not to name the "manufacturer." Suffice it to say it is one of the private label brands manufactured by Seiko. I had problems with it beginning well before the one year warranty expired and notified the company. I couldn't send it in immediately because I was out in the field with no access to the USPS or UPS during that period. When I sent it in several weeks later, it took over 3 weeks for them to tell me there were problems with the circuit board and they couldn't repair it because they had no parts. Mind you, this is a computer model that was only discontinued about a month ago (and replaced by a new and improved one... maybe one that fixed the circuit board problems?). It was my understanding that manufacturers had to maintain a repair parts inventory for several years after a product was discontinued.

I am currently discussing this with their service tech and management so I don't wish to ID the manufacturer.

That sucks Dr bill, and I hope you get your computer repair, and they should stock parts for repair...

Thanks for sharing..

I had a Mares M2 crap out during the warranty period. Mares couldn't fix it and it was discontinued so they sent me the new (at that time) Puck. I'd call that good service.

Uwatec (ScubaPro) or Shearwater.

Aladin 2G or Petrel . . . or buy used for the best deal around.

Back
Top Bottom