Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her BCD (Scubapro Bella) is a size small, and they don't come smaller. The tank is an AL80, rented from a dive op, no smaller tanks were available.

Wow, it looks huge on her.... If I dived something proportionally that big I would not be a happy camper.

I've been trying to get her to try something different, but she's resistant to it since she's "used to" the one she has. I'm also trying to get her into some Faber HP80s for her personal tanks....then I can double up her pink Catalina Al80s :D

To the OP:
I don't know why you're always tripping so hard about BP/W users?
Some people just found something that works better for them.

I think that the OP asked a very cogent question.

He asked the BPW users to say why we individually want to use BPWs, why BPWs work well for us. He didn't ask if BPWs work well for everybody because this is where the arguments usually kicked in.

I'm not going to tell other divers that BPW is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If they ask me about my rig then I'll tell them the reasoning behind my rig.

I've been trying to get her to try something different, but she's resistant to it since she's "used to" the one she has. I'm also trying to get her into some Faber HP80s for her personal tanks....then I can double up her pink Catalina Al80s :D

There is a lot to be said about being comfortable and in tuned with your gears even though they may not be optimal.

I think that she would dig the Faber HP80. More weight on the back, less weight off the waist plus smaller size than the AL80 too. Depends on which HP80, that is.

He asked the BPW users to say why we individually want to use BPWs, why BPWs work well for us. He didn't ask if BPWs work well for everybody because this is where the arguments usually kicked in.

I'm not going to tell other divers that BPW is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If they ask me about my rig then I'll tell them the reasoning behind my rig.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. If we all started from this premise, we would have had a lot less insults going around and more substance to the discussion.

I will most likely either get a back inflate or a BP/W only because I will be going back to a drysuit. The SP Classic I have now isn't comfortable with a drysuit. When I am not wearing a drysuit, I'll be using the Classic no question about it.

Last edited:
I'm going to address the original post - why I like a BP/W.

When I bought my last BC, I noticed BP/W's on the next dive. It seemed a lot more reasonable but I didn't do anything until I met my snuggle buddy. On our first dive he put me in a transpac. I wasn't hugely accepting of that because it was too big. Then I tried a PB/W and went wow. I'm definately a woman and most BCs squash me it they fit the rest of my frame. The BP/W puts everything behind me. Well, that was until I started Cave diving. Now I have stuff all over the front too.

And since I've found trim, the butt dump on my right is all I need to vent the wing. :)

Depending on her size and SAC Rate, you might want to consider HP65 (I think this is the size).

It seems to me that this isn't the first thread that the OP has gotten involved in on BP/W vs Jacket debate. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

And the title "Warped Dive World Evolution-BP/W Subgroup Mindset".
What's with the title?
"Warped"?? what's warped about it? - and "Mindset" in the same sentence.
So is he implying I have a warped mindset?

Nobody has to tell me I'm warped, I already know that.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

It seems to me that this isn't the first thread that the OP has gotten involved in on BP/W vs Jacket debate. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

And the title "Warped Dive World Evolution-BP/W Subgroup Mindset".
What's with the title?
"Warped"?? what's warped about it? - and "Mindset" in the same sentence.
So is he implying I have a warped mindset?

Nobody has to tell me I'm warped, I already know that.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I read right pass the "warped" accusation. I thought most serious divers are warped. We spend ungodly amount of money to spend us much time in a cold, wet, hostile environment as possible for .... fun?

Most average recreational divers world wide still don't know what a BP/W is and probably don't care.

In 2008 I went to Indonesia. Among the places we visited was Kunkungen Bay Resort, in Lembeh Straits. The resort manager happened to be near the dock as I was loading my gear on the boat. Seeing my BP/W she asked me if I knew Lynne (TSandM).

Turns out she didn't even know we were from the same part of the world ... much less that we were friends. All she knew was that the last time she had seen a BP/W was 10 months earlier ... when Lynne and Peter visited the same resort. She figured, since this was only the second time she'd ever seen one, we must know each other ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom