Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP:
I don't know why you're always tripping so hard about BP/W users?
Some people just found something that works better for them.

In his first post, the OP is asking BP/w users why they initially tried the system.

In subsequent posts it may be that the OP is reacting to the idea (expressed by some) that a BP/w is the superior choice for all divers, regardless of their circumstances.

And the title "Warped Dive World Evolution-BP/W Subgroup Mindset".
What's with the title?
"Warped"?? what's warped about it? - and "Mindset" in the same sentence.
So is he implying I have a warped mindset?

I understood "Warped Dive World Evolution" to mean that the evolution of diving began with a tank and straps, then quickly the plate evolved, followed eventually by large padded BCs, and now there is a resurgence (or perhaps just a surviving evolutionary arm) of divers using plates. Personally I saw no insult or malice.

There is a lot to be said about being comfortable and in tuned with your gears even though they may not be optimal.

I think that she would dig the Faber HP80. More weight on the back, less weight off the waist plus smaller size than the AL80 too. Depends on which HP80, that is.

To your first point, I totally agree. I think part of the BP/W for her is that steel plate "looks uncomfortable." Oh, but she likes the Halcyon with the pad covering the plate. Go figure...

She did one of her AOW dives using a Worthy 80 and was hating it - said it just felt heavy and like it wanted to flip her over. A few months later, she tried a Faber HP80 and liked it a lot better. The Worthys are a couple lbs more negative IIRC which is easily noticeable.

my wife is 5' 2 1/2" - 64's are the only way for her.......

In subsequent posts it may be that the OP is reacting to the idea (expressed by some) that a BP/w is the superior choice for all divers, regardless of their circumstances.

This is the eternal conflict. I can say that I could and would use anything anywhere
if it mean't getting in a dive somewhere unexpectedly if I wasn't prepared otherwise with my own gear.
I used to be one of those that liked to throw gas on the fire with BP/W as the only way to go, but I don't care anymore.

I understood "Warped Dive World Evolution" to mean that the evolution of diving began with a tank and straps, then quickly the plate evolved, followed eventually by large padded BCs, and now there is a resurgence (or perhaps just a surviving evolutionary arm) of divers using plates. Personally I saw no insult or malice.

I understand "warped" as not necessarily being a good thing depending on the context in which it is used.
I read it as the dive evolution being warped as in getting badly off track and going a direction the OP sees as awry or not in a favorable direction. Maybe it has, I don't know. All I know is I'm very happy diving in my warped little world.
Maybe it's like somebody saying "Dude, that's sick", meaning it's good in a sick and twisted fun way.

Here is the evolutionary cronology:

Tank diving starts with tank held on back with straps. That goes on until very early 60's when plastic, fiberglass and moulded thin aluminum packs came out. That held all the way up into the 70's when full BC jackets began to get developed around a plastic pack. The plastic pack was eventually ditched out of the unit with further developement of the padded up jacket BC.
The plastic pack was eventually phased out completely in virtually all recreational diving except for a very small minority of old time veteran divers.

Jackets went all the way up to current times with back inflates coming in sometime in the 90's along with weight integration and finally the "elevator lever".

Meanwhile the tech community develops what is now the current style of plate with the channel and wing. This happens in a parallel universe to the recreational jacket world.
In the late 90's tech BP/W find their way into the recreational market thanks to the internet. Later so does plastic pack and vintage gear again thanks to the internet and message boards and a growing interest in dive history.
So the minimalist approach of using a pack and or a BP/W (similar) has come full circle. What's old is new, and less is more.
But this is an internet phenomenon not an LDS or mainstream manufacturer trend. The mainstream is trying but they don't get it.

The dive shops now have been left behind in the BP/W world because they missed the bus, but they really don't care because they need to sell more Scubapro and Aqualung stuff anyway to keep their pricing tier up on the highest level. And besides those pesky plates and wings are for tech divers and wannabe's and self righteous A holes anyway so screw 'em.
So, as long as their customers stay off the internet and don't find out about the whole internet diving world and the evils of the BP/W, and only go into their LDS and buy what they're told they need, everything will be just ducky!

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2008 I went to Indonesia. Among the places we visited was Kunkungen Bay Resort, in Lembeh Straits. The resort manager happened to be near the dock as I was loading my gear on the boat. Seeing my BP/W she asked me if I knew Lynne (TSandM).

Turns out she didn't even know we were from the same part of the world ... much less that we were friends. All she knew was that the last time she had seen a BP/W was 10 months earlier ... when Lynne and Peter visited the same resort. She figured, since this was only the second time she'd ever seen one, we must know each other ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's really funny. You should have shown her the secret hanshake. Then there'd be four.

This is the eternal conflict. I can say that I could and would use anything anywhere
if it mean't getting in a dive somewhere unexpectedly if I wasn't prepared otherwise with my own gear.
I used to be one of those that liked to throw gas on the fire with BP/W as the only way to go, but I don't care anymore.

I understand "warped" as not necessarily being a good thing depending on the context in which it is used.
I read it as the dive evolution being warped as in getting badly off track and going a direction the OP sees as awry or not in a favorable direction. Maybe it has, I don't know. All I know is I'm very happy diving in my warped little world.
Maybe it's like somebody saying "Dude, that's sick", meaning it's good in a sick and twisted fun way.

Here is the evolutionary cronology:

Tank diving starts with tank held on back with straps. That goes on until very early 60's when plastic, fiberglass and moulded thin aluminum packs came out. That held all the way up into the 70's when full BC jackets began to get developed around a plastic pack. The plastic pack was eventually ditched out of the unit with further developement of the padded up jacket BC.
The plastic pack was eventually phased out completely in virtually all recreational diving except for a very small minority of old time veteran divers.

Jackets went all the way up to current times with back inflates coming in sometime in the 90's along with weight integration and finally the "elevator lever".

Meanwhile the tech community develops what is now the current style of plate with the channel and wing. This happens in a parallel universe to the recreational jacket world.
In the late 90's tech BP/W find their way into the recreational market thanks to the internet. Later so does plastic pack and vintage gear again thanks to the internet and message boards and a growing interest in dive history.
So the minimalist approach of using a pack and or a BP/W (similar) has come full circle. What's old is new, and less is more.
But this is an internet phenomenon not an LDS or mainstream manufacturer trend. The mainstream is trying but they don't get it.

The dive shops now have been left behind in the BP/W world because they missed the bus, but they really don't care because they need to sell more Scubapro and Aqualung stuff anyway to keep their pricing tier up on the highest level. And besides those pesky plates and wings are for tech divers and wannabe's and self righteous A holes anyway so screw 'em.
So, as long as their customers stay off the internet and don't find out about the whole internet diving world and the evils of the BP/W, and only go into their LDS and buy what they're told they need, everything will be just ducky!

I'm returning to the sport after a 8-9 year absence, and all I can say is that was freaking amazing!!!!!!! (and spot on)

I'm returning to the sport after a 8-9 year absence, and all I can say is that was freaking amazing!!!!!!! (and spot on)

I'll bet the SB discussions nowadays are exactly the same as they were 8-9 years ago. :)

I'll bet the SB discussions nowadays are exactly the same as they were 8-9 years ago. :)

Pretty much ... only there's a lot more of them ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I went BPW after using a big bulky Oceanic Probe. A great BC and worked well for the time it did. I discovered BPW when I knew I wanted to start diving wrecks and do the deeper ones that would require the use of doubles. An adapter was available for the Probe but I didn't like the way it felt with my single steel 95's. In the meantime I found SB and discovered DSS. I tried to talk the LDS into getting me one. And a long hose. He would not so I bought on line. And the first time I put it in the water the difference was amazing. The Probe was like a B52. Reliable, tough, and bulky. The DSS rig was like an F-16. Light, streamlined, uncluttered, and the feeling of freedom was amazing. Nothing squeezing my chest, no useless pockets, I dropped 8 lbs of lead immediately. No inherent buoyancy. And traveling with it was amazing. I had to ship my Probe to florida to avoid extra fees and carrying a bag that was too inconvenient with my late wife and her wheelchair. The BPW fit in a back pack. I still use a jacket in the pool for one or two sessions and then I'm in a BPW or my Express Tech. I will never go back to a jacket. And the BPW for me anyway was cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom