Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this it for the reason of the limited options for dumping air?
I believe so. I had a Black Diamond and it had something like five or more dumps. My current rig has one butt dump and the inflator head.
Why not put the quick dump valve on the outside of the wing on the right side?
When scootering, I'd have to come off the trigger every time I dumped.

How do you get the air out in the horizontal face down swimming position?
Reach back to the bottom left dump and pull the cord. I might jack my ass up a bit to shift gas towards the dump, but not usually.

Last edited:
Adobo,

In practice, is it more difficult to get the air out when the dump valve is at the bottom in the horizontal position?

No. I use primarily the butt dump when diving in open water. I've done a tiny bit of cave diving and I think I used the inflator to dump more frequently on those dives than I normally do on ocean dives.

I really don't understand you, sorry.

While most wings have a simple elbow on the left shoulder connected to a corrugated hose and std LPI and a lower left (inside) pull dump, Most other options are available or can be added if you want. I have one wing with lower right (outside) pull dump. And my wife dives a wing with an Air2 and a pull dump on the left shoulder. What option would you like?

I tend to use whichever valve is most convenient depending mostly on my position and the condition of the arthritis in my left shoulder.

Adobo, Dave,

Thank you for your replies. I am having some difficulty understanding how it would work, but I suppose I'll have to try it to believe/understand it.

Thank you once again.

While most wings have a simple elbow on the left shoulder connected to a corrugated hose and std LPI and a lower left (inside) pull dump, Most other options are available or can be added if you want. I have one wing with lower right (outside) pull dump. And my wife dives a wing with an Air2 and a pull dump on the left shoulder. What option would you like?

I tend to use whichever valve is most convenient depending mostly on my position and the condition of the arthritis in my left shoulder.

Got it!! Thank you. This sounds much better.

If I buy a wing, let's say from Halcyon, and it only has one quick dump, I can somehow have another one added anywhere I want as I understand you. Is this a major customization job where the wing will have to be sent to the manufacturer or ordered that way or is the process much simpler?

BurhanMuntasser, I can see your confusion -- why would air come out of a downward-facing valve?

The answer is that it isn't downward-facing when you are venting. The motion to vent a wing from the pull dump is to grasp the string in your thumb and forefinger, and then rotate the wrist to the outside. This bend the wing so that the dump valve is facing very close to upwards. Air vents without a problem.

I believe the dumps are mounted that way so that, if the string gets caught in something and pulled, it's less likely the wing will auto-dump. This HAS happened to people, and is part of the reason that GUE recommends removing any kind of button or plastic pull on the end of the string, because such a thing is more likely to get stuck in your gear somewhere.

Edited to add: In close to a thousand dives, I've never found a need to be able to dump a wing anywhere but the two places my wings provide.

BurhanMuntasser, I can see your confusion -- why would air come out of a downward-facing valve?

The answer is that it isn't downward-facing when you are venting. The motion to vent a wing from the pull dump is to grasp the string in your thumb and forefinger, and then rotate the wrist to the outside. This bend the wing so that the dump valve is facing very close to upwards. Air vents without a problem.

I believe the dumps are mounted that way so that, if the string gets caught in something and pulled, it's less likely the wing will auto-dump. This HAS happened to people, and is part of the reason that GUE recommends removing any kind of button or plastic pull on the end of the string, because such a thing is more likely to get stuck in your gear somewhere.

Edited to add: In close to a thousand dives, I've never found a need to be able to dump a wing anywhere but the two places my wings provide.

That's it!! THANK YOU!!!

This was my confusion. I get it now. I now have to try it to believe it.

I suppose I'll have to buy the setup when I get my drysuit. This is getting expensive.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Warning: Stay on topic. Stop the personal insults, insinuations and comments. There is a lot of good information here that will be lost when the thread is closed because you can't discuss things nicely.

Got it!! Thank you. This sounds much better.

If I buy a wing, let's say from Halcyon, and it only has one quick dump, I can somehow have another one added anywhere I want as I understand you. Is this a major customization job where the wing will have to be sent to the manufacturer or ordered that way or is the process much simpler?

Yes, that would probably be a major customization. Some smaller mfgrs might be able to do such work or you ncould shop around to see if anyone already makes one as you would like. My right hip dump came from Dive Rite before they got caught up in the current trend. Or you could DIY. The left hip inside really is pretty good except on those days when the left shoulder is bad.

I dived an At-Pac after certification in 77', when the SP stabilizer jacket was pretty popular. Working at the LDS, I tried everything, but nothing came close to the At-Pac in terms of stability, streamlining and trim.

When I recertified in 05', I was looking for another At-Pac, but they'd been long gone for many years. I trusted the 'pros' at the LDS and they fitted me with a Black Diamond. After about 100 dives, Apeks came out with a BP/W, which is very close to the At-Pac in functionality.

I use a BP/W now for both singles, doing rec dives and doubles for tec dives. I still try everything the shop gets in and will likely buy a LiteHawk for pool use, as I'm tired of using the crappy rental poodle jacket I currently use. It's not a BP/W, but it's pretty lean and will work fine for me in the pool.

For anything recreational, I can trim out and control any BCD I've ever dived. BP/W is a personal preference for recreational dives, it's pretty much mandatory for any tech dives I execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom