Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that is one opinion you have about BP/Ws that is wrong. Another is when you tried to argue a jacket is better for the lava tubes because of where the wing sits :rolf3: probably more but I can't be bothered looking.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Sas, I contend that when BP/W proponents have typed that "BP/W's are more streamlined than Vest BC's" I have asked; for the link(s) to the studies or data used for that statement typed as if it were fact, why one would type in a way that claims the entire BP/W category is more streamlined than the entire category of Vest BC's, why an anecdotal opinion is not being identified as opinion and other similar versions.

With regards to my thread on Lava Tube diving; I simply asked a question...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...advanced-recreational-cavern-cave-diving.html

halemanō;5209503:
Is it possible that a Vest BC is the best BC for a dive like this?

Please understand I am not advocating that any diver other than my BDB beanniebrew and myself do any dive similar to this one; YOU MOST CERTAINLY MIGHT DIE!

The entire dive, not all of it overhead, can be viewed at the following link;

Cave Dive - halemano's Photos- powered by SmugMug

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

IN YOUR OPINION, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm of the opinion you have no clue what I am really talking about. :shakehead:

Last edited:
halemanō;5740863:
IN YOUR OPINION, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm of the opinion you have no clue what I am really talking about. :shakehead:

Nope, I am quite sure that what I said about your knowledge is fact.

It would appear to me that there are only two locations on the BP/W to dump air, the inflator hose (you'll have to lift the hose and press the deflate button) or a single quick dump valve located on the inside bottom left side of the wing. Is this standard for all BP/W?

I am curious on how the air is dumped when the diver is in horizontal face down (prone) position or is in vertical head up position.

Also, is the limited number of ways to dump air from the BP/W due to some "dogma" associated with the idea of using this system?

It would appear to me that there are only two locations on the BP/W to dump air, the inflator hose (you'll have to lift the hose and press the deflate button) or a single quick dump valve located on the inside bottom left side of the wing. Is this standard for all BP/W?

I am curious on how the air is dumped when the diver is in horizontal face down (prone) position or is in vertical head up position.

Also, is the limited number of ways to dump air from the BP/W due to some "dogma" associated with the idea of using this system?

The only dumping option that might be hard to get on a wing the I can think of is the "elevator" lever found on many new AL & SQ BCDs.

I see it more as a reduction of failure points and redundant features.

Is this it for the reason of the limited options for dumping air? Why not put the quick dump valve on the outside of the wing on the right side?

How do you get the air out in the horizontal face down swimming position?

The only dumping option that might be hard to get on a wing the I can think of is the "elevator" lever found on many new AL & SQ BCDs.

I really don't understand you, sorry.

This is not a feature of backplates. It is a feature of wings. Since these types of systems are modular, one could use a different wing. One could get a wing with more lift capacity or a wing with heavier duty fabric or different color. Or if available and desired, a wing with more dump valves.

Use the butt dump to vent when horizontal. Use the inflator to dump when vertical.

My guess (I was not there when these things were decided) is that the number of dump valves and the placement of dump valves were determined based on need. The manufacturer could add unnecessary features such as more dump valves and add thinks like the *pull to dump* feature on the inflator hose but for whatever perceived/real benefits those features may provide, they also introduce failure points.

I am looking for help from other SB members!

I posted this thread in "Basic Scuba Discussions" because many BP/W threads are "imploring" beginning divers that they should get a BP/W now, and many statements like that are made in "Basic Scuba Discussions."

(edited by me after SB membership sort of threatened) Some here on SB can post pretty darn advanced threads in "Basic" and they are allowed to stay in "Basic." :idk:

Here is an example....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/364930-how-have-great-dive.html

Yesterday, I saw the old year out on a boat with seven other divers. It was a stunning day in Puget Sound, although very cold, with air temperatures in the high 20s and water temperatures in the high 40's. We did two different sites and we had a ball. Now, admittedly, everyone on the boat was VERY experienced -- I think the most novice has several hundred dives -- and had a lot of advanced training.

As the title of this thread indicates, evolution is one of the topics. I (similar edit by me) feel that some may not want us to have this discussion in a public place; (similar edit by me) I feel like this thread is being hidden in a back room! :shocked2:

Please, voice your opinion on the move/hide as well as continuing the sharing of reasons you went the BP/W route! :coffee:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom