Warning : beware of any service or tank fills from Scuba Tiger in Orange FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructor_Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just want to put a heads up to anyone that gets fills or service done from Tiger Scuba up in Jacksonville. I Just picked up a set of dbls this weekend that where supposedly serviced in August of '13 ( hydro, vip and O2 cleaned ) and they where full of rust.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393278362.619855.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393278351.414854.jpg

The person i got them from claims they had never been in the water since the where serviced and the outside of the tanks look brand new, when they where drained they smelled of compressor oil and now need to be sent out to be shot blasted.

Please be aware and be safe out there, and remember not all shops are created equal.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see the rust. Maybe rust means something different to you than it does to me, but to me, I don't shot blast till there is a inch of water and 1/2 inch of scale on the inside of the cylinder. You barely have any flash rust the way it looks to me. Flash rust won't hurt a thing.

What is the cylinder wall thickness and what do DOT standards say about tolerable loss of wall thickness?

I think you'll find that the flash rust pictured is no where failing the cylinder unless it has previously been rusty and shotblasted clean before the current corrosion.

If the cylinder smelled of oil then tumbling with a degreaser such as degrephos would be more appropriate than shot blasting but don't forget that rinsing and drying after either process can still cause flash rust, especially if you're trying to dry in a very humid atmosphere.

The cylinder valve should be stripped and cleaned as well if it has been contaminated with oil. Even if the cylinder isn't going to be used for pp blended nitrox you still wouldn't want to be breathing air that has been made oily by passing through an oily valve.

Whatever has happened to that cylinder you would need to know for certain that it had not been filled by anyone other than that particular dive shop since they completed work on it to prove they were negligent.

Somebody didn't do a background check on the seller before buying. That shop went out of business in 2009/10 I think. If you have a legit 2013 sticker, you probably have a case of fraud in my personal opinion.

And if you continue your research you will realize that all that document states is that Phillip May dissolved his LLC after he sold his dive shop. Scuba Tiger is still open but now it is owned by Underwater Spot LLC with David Nettles as the president. If you are going to dig then you should really dig until there is nothing left to find. Or just call the dive shop and ask them if they are open or not.

As discussed at length on another forum, it's really not appropriate to blame a dive shop for the state of tanks that were last in their control six months ago.

Caveat emptor.
I have no dog in this fight.
I have never heard of Tiger SCUBA, I have never dove anywhere near Jax and do not expect to in this lifetime either.
I would prefer that there be incontrovertible proof that this shop is to blame, prior to a posting of this type.
Right now I see a perhaps very justifiably annoyed OP, making a very serious allegation, that can probably never be proven to satisfaction.
Even if it is totally true, how can we ever know?
Too many moving parts in this one for me.

Chug
Having a reasonable doubt.

Last edited:
Flash rust. There's a spot of clean metal, dead center in the bottom. Tanks that get wet fills rust that area out heavily.

Granted though, I wouldn't have been happy with that tank. Ever since I found out how to properly use oxy-safe rust inhibitor, I've never dealt with flash rust again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom