Warmest undergarment available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is a lot of good advice in this thread, but have you considered going electric?

Not really no. I think I'll spring for something with a bit more warmth before going that far. It's a good idea, I just dont think I'm in the water enough to really justify it.

---------- Post added February 8th, 2013 at 12:42 PM ----------

Let me just give you an advice that will make your life easy and would make the manufacturers hate me.

Make one yourself! The fabric that these things are made of is not magic. It is easily available. Sheets of Polartec and Thinsulate can be purchased online at a very cheap price. I got a huge roll of polar tec 300 material for 25 USD and will now be persuading my mother in law to stitch it. She is nice. If I took it to the tailoring shop they would charge 50 bucks to do a professional job.

Post a photo!

Sure will. I tried the suit today and it is awesome. Warmest/lightest things I have ever worn. Pics will be up soon.

never thought of making one. thats a great idea. i was going to ask anyone here if they could find a heavy one piece fleece undergarment that was not marketed as a dry suit undergarment. the prices are ridiculous for some of these. i have found a couple under a $100 but if anyone has found others i would love to hear about them.

I'm using FE Arctic over White Mk0, one pair of woolsocks. Keeps me warm in 4 C. for a 50 minute dive.. The Arctic is 2 piece and fits The Tec well.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Reading this thread for insights....

I've just bought a DUI 30/30 for diving in not-too-cold water. I'm working hard on getting used to it (feeling like a newbie diver again--this is a MUCH harder task than the skills in my cave course, LOL). I'm wearing LavaCore under it, and the fit/feel are great. I don't want to be very bulky or turn into a sail in the current. But I'm cold, cold, cold. The water is about 60°F. In reading through the replies here, there's a question about whether the cold starts in the hands or the core.... mine starts at about 10 minutes into the dive on my back over my lungs and travels down; eventually I start to feel cold in my shoulders, upper arms and hips. I don't notice cold feet or hands or face. I shake underwater (can't take pictures).

The advice to get the White's TF is tempting, but I don't want anything thicker than the Lavacore, and I think there must be something out there that's micro-fibre-y and warm, like skiers use--how thick is the TF?

You can only wick away so much perspiration, and add to that water vapor condensation forming on the inside of your drysuit, until your undergarments become totally saturated and then you begin to chill.

The only solution at this stage IMHO, rather than adding another layer of wicking/insulating undergarment is the use of a battery heated vest or cummerbund.

UTD Equipment Solar Heating Systems

You can only wick away so much perspiration, and add to that water vapor condensation forming on the inside of your drysuit, until your undergarments become totally saturated and then you begin to chill.

The only solution at this stage IMHO, rather than adding another layer of wicking/insulating undergarment is the use of a battery heated vest or cummerbund.

UTD Equipment Solar Heating Systems
Are you saying I'm getting chilled because I've been sweating? I guess that's possible. My Lavacore shirt was sort of damp over the upper back.

Thanks for the link; I'll take a look at that sort of thing.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

Move to Miami :D
Well, indigo posted this in February, so I presume she has got her issue sorted out. I just revived an old thread because I wanted to focus on the hands vs core question. But as for me, your advice won't fly. I already live in a MUCH better dive destination than Miami :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom