Warmest undergarment available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions! Every little bit helps to make a decision so thank you, especially to those who took the time to be quite detailed. I would have to say that I am on the sensitive side to cold, which is why I am looking for the warmest one I can find. Do you guys think the Thermal Fusion would do it if I'm on the sensitive side? Maybe keep the MK2 for summer diving. I've seen the Thermal Fusion and have been curious about it but it seems so thin, I can't see how it could keep me very warm, but I haven't researched it extensively. I prefer to stay unbulky, if at all possible. I find the ankkles of the fusion quite tight as is. Yesterday I noticed the cold started in my hands and core. I use thinsulate gloves with Marigolds. I guess I need to find out what they are using in Alaska or Silfra under a non-neoprene suit. Thanks again everyone!

I've been really happy with the DUI XM450. It's not as bulky as a SubX but just as warm. Ive done 45-60 minutes in 39F water and came out only slightly chilly.

My SubX has turned to my suit for shoveling the snow. Between the weight it takes to sink it and the restriction for valve drills its officially retired from diving.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Might check out the Fourth Element Hot Socks also. I have a set I've yet to dive, but everyone I know that has them swears by them. You can later some smart wool under them as well.

4th Element Halo 3D

I am the world champion of the cold weenies. I took a dry suit to Fiji. I get cold cold cold.

I, too, am very very impressed with the new Thermal Fusion - it is very flexible, and even I stay warm in 45 degree water after an hour and 15 minutes. It has demoted my prior "warmest undies" - Santi BZ 400 Extreme - to being a suit I wear while ATV riding in the snow.

All the best, James

How does the thermal fusion perform when flooded?

Wow! Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions! Every little bit helps to make a decision so thank you, especially to those who took the time to be quite detailed. I would have to say that I am on the sensitive side to cold, which is why I am looking for the warmest one I can find. Do you guys think the Thermal Fusion would do it if I'm on the sensitive side? Maybe keep the MK2 for summer diving. I've seen the Thermal Fusion and have been curious about it but it seems so thin, I can't see how it could keep me very warm, but I haven't researched it extensively. I prefer to stay unbulky, if at all possible. I find the ankkles of the fusion quite tight as is. Yesterday I noticed the cold started in my hands and core. I use thinsulate gloves with Marigolds. I guess I need to find out what they are using in Alaska or Silfra under a non-neoprene suit. Thanks again everyone!

I think there is a lot of good advice in this thread, but have you considered going electric?

I've been pretty darned impressed with the TF when wet. I did a 66 minute dive a couple of weeks ago with a leak that left me wet from my waist down to my foot on the left (forgot to make sure the p-valve cap was tightened down before diving without using it). That was in 45 degree water, and we were not moving much at all. I did several dives in my other suit last month with a leaking wrist seal replacement that resulted in pretty much hemi-body soakedness. It seems to do very well.

Let me just give you an advice that will make your life easy and would make the manufacturers hate me.

Make one yourself! The fabric that these things are made of is not magic. It is easily available. Sheets of Polartec and Thinsulate can be purchased online at a very cheap price. I got a huge roll of polar tec 300 material for 25 USD and will now be persuading my mother in law to stitch it. She is nice. If I took it to the tailoring shop they would charge 50 bucks to do a professional job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom