Question Warmest 5 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to find a 5 mm shorty to replace an old Mares. Judging by wetsuits I have handled, some are lighter in weight than others at the same neoprene thickness. I have an idea that some 5 mm might be warmer than others.
And yes, I know that comfort and good fit can give you at least 1 degree extra. Years ago I got warmer by wearing a lighter suit, big lesson there.
Can anyone comment on warmest 5 mm suits?

Excluding Freediving suits, the Bare reactive line, Henderson Aqualock, and Waterproof W4 I believe are considered the warmest options. All of them are lined, have taped seems, and have seals on the wrists/ankles to prevent water movements.

Sadly warm is a subjective term so when looking for warmest, I’d look at suits frequently mentioned as being warm rather than any single data point saying suit X is the warmest!

Best of luck in your search.

We loved the aqualock ... seals water out, warm felt inside. still stretchy (for a 5mm). Had them for years, and they were well made with good seams. "Seemed" as warm as the 7mms we had rented before buying this. Not sure how important it is but we we also got the aqualock boots and gloves.

Also heard good things about bare but never tried.

I got the Bare sports"Reactive 5mm" few months ago and it is the warmest 5mm suit I have used while still stretchy and comfortable. It is better than the 7mm suits I have used from AL, Mares, etc.

Normally I would say Henderson Aqualock. The big one with that suit is controlling the water flushing through the suit

But you said "Shorty", and that starts getting into unicorn territory. Not much in the 5mm shorty options. Usually when someone is stepping up to 5mm it is a full suit. I don't know of a 5mm shorty off the top of my head. I am sure someone probably makes them, but the options are going to be slim

yeah a shorty is not warm. If you are selecting a shorty, I would think comfort and convenience would be most important. I only remember seeing them in 2-3 mm thickness, unless it has an integrated hood and is designed to go over a thick, full suit.

I am trying to find a 5 mm shorty
Why a shorty in 5mm, why not a 3mm one piece and a 2mm vest when still cold
Only saying that because that is what I use when it's time to move from 5mm to 3mm here.
As for your question, there are not many "bad" wetsuits now, as others have said, fit and comfort [and for me, custom fit].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom