Warm water v. cold water divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkullDeformity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Since my school learning has started in Hilo, I've been hearing a lot about this supposed difference between cold water versus warm water divers. Everything from my gear to my mindset has been called into question as a "cold water diver" attribute. For example, coming back in with "too much air"? What? It really gets my goat when ever I hear about "differences" between cold water and warm water gear. This BC is good for warm water but not cold water, warm water fins, etc. While some differences DO exist, such as having bigger pockets to fit fat gloves in, the rest is totally manufactured. In fact, the only difference I see between these two groups is in the mindset (edit: "attitude" would be a more accurate word).

While I don't intend to aggravate anyone, I've come to think of warm water divers as "tourists," who only want to dive in the clearest, warmest waters and if it isn't perfect then it isn't worth it. Cold water divers are "divers," people who dive for the sake of diving, and bonus points for cool critters and locations. I can't explain any other system by which every day of the week there are divers lined up at cove 2 to dive the exact same, comparitively lifeless spot, and the beautiful dive site of Leleiwi is completely deserted because it's "boring" for locals.

Gosh sorry you hear you have to brave those warm clear waters of the more temperate pacific LOL. But seriously SD, I cut my teeth in mostly the cold murky waters of local lakes and I do think that it makes one a better diver when things "jump" out at you from a couple of feet away do to low/no vis. If I had my choice of whether to dive warm or cold though-I'd still take warm every time.

I do enjoy the warm water dives but I love diving the PNW.

It does take a different mindset and a lot more gear to dive cold water.
My exhusband and I got certified at the same time and he did not like the cold and work involved to dive locally.
I was excited to get back from Hawaii and take my next cert class.

Yup. People get some quirky attitudes about gear, don't they?

I came from the other direction -- learned in warm water, for the most part, and now getting heavily (pun) into cold water diving. With a few exceptions, it seems to me that most of the warm water techniques and equipment are just a subset of cold water diving.

glenn

Love that comment..."..it seems to me that most of the warm water techniques and equipment are just a subset of cold water diving." That's about the long and short of it, eh? Take all the truly fundamental stuff about coldwater diving and you have warm water diving. They don't have the concerns we do, so they can be a bit more "fast and loose" about gear choices, safety, technique, etc etc.

I think for those of us who learn up here or dive up here religiously, going and diving warm water is a bit like initially running a marathon wearing a "fat suit" and then going and running it in shorts and a shirt like everyone else. When you learn anything under some of the harshest conditions and then apply those same skills in more ideal conditions, it's easier for you. Of course, some of the conservativism that is built into diving up here may seem out of place somewhere else (coming up with a bit more air in the tanks..), but a healthy respect for safety should never be something that's frowned upon...anywhere.

Cheers,
Austin

Cold water diving is an entirely different beast than warm water diving. You have to be a little crazy to love cold water diving :) Luckily I'm certifiably nuts...

Cold water diving is a pain in the arse. More gear, bulkier setup, cold, limited viz, less marine life, muck, heavy tanks.... the list goes on and on. If you step back and look at cold water diving from a logistical perspective, it just doesn't make sense. But yet people do it and love it.

For me, it's the love of hovering motionless and of just diving. I don't care about the environment nearly as much, and if I don't dive regularly I get a bit of withdrawal. I don't dive to see things or to accomplish something, I dive to dive, and certainly being a little cold or uncomfortable won't stop me from doing it.

I haven't had a chance to dive warm water yet I'll be in Oahu in july so I'll see.
I don' see myself giving up diving in California anytime soon.

I love 39 degree water and 2 foot vis. I'd miss it if I moved to HI. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'd love diving there, but I love diving here. I think it makes some tough divers, too.

I dunno ... I've been diving 81 degree water with 100+ foot vis all week, and while I'm not exactly looking forward to Cove 2 I can say that I'm more comfortable in a drysuit than I am in the gear I'm using right now.

I think a lot of it boils down to familiarity ... diving's a very routine-oriented activity, and going from cold, dark and murky to warm, light and clear still messes up your routine. Took me three days to get my weighting right, and I didn't feel I had the trim and buoyancy control, even in a 3-mil wetsuit that I normally have in my drysuit. For sure I am more comfortable in the latter ... but I use it a lot more often, so I should be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I dunno ... I've been diving 81 degree water with 100+ foot vis all week . . .

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom