Wanting to change 3 phase motor to single phase motor on a Coltri MCH-16 Compact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I finally finished the motor install. It was pretty easy, I think the hardest part was making a plate to mount the motor being it was a larger base and still be able to adjust it. I also had to do some mods on the motor to get it to fit. The capacitor box was mounted on the right side of the motor and there isn’t enough room between the cabinet wall and the cooling coils it get it to fit. So, it had to be relocated to the top of the motor, I also had to extend the wiring a little to get it into the new location. Everything seemed to go together as planned.

After it was all reassembled it was test time. I started it up (boy did it sound different) it was a lot quieter but had a higher pitched tone. The old Baldor motor had a little grinding when you spun the motor by hand. I think the bearing was getting ready to go out anyway. I ran several rpm tests with my photo tachometer to check the speed of the compressor. The meter shows a low rpm, normal rpm, and a high rpm every time you use it, I guess because depending on how you hold it on the object you can get fluctuating readings. All tests put the normal RPM range somewhere between 1540 and 1550, which was fairly consistent. I also did an amp draw, and at about 3600 psi it was pulling 21 amps I still need to check the amps at 4500 psi which is the pressure of my high banks. Overall I’m happy with the conversion, just going to take it easy on it for a while and see if any weird noises or vibrations start happening. Thanks for all your help.

Damon

20131025_134335.jpg20131025_151615.jpg20131026_115354.jpg

Well the issue is I need to turn the compressor at 1550 RPM, the compressor pulley is 16 7/16”, my drive motor is 3520 RPM, so I would need an 8” drive pulley.

My bad I just noticed that I put 16 7/16" it should have been 18 7/16". Jim sorry for the wrong information, but I do appreciate your reply.

Damon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom